Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

HD hanging, chkdsk error

This is a discussion on HD hanging, chkdsk error within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all I just came over from the Security forum where VIkesRock ( they do) helped me diagnose what appears

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 03:42 PM   #1

Hi all I just came over from the Security forum where VIkesRock ( they do) helped me diagnose what appears now to be a HD issue.

After clearning and chenking my registry for nastys, we were still seeing my HD take forever to load and find files, it just seemd to churn. I ran chkdsk overnight and when I got to it in the morning and restarted I got a recovered from serious error message. Now i did not turn off my auto power down controls so if they may have kciked in while is was checking and caused the error I am sorry. The reoport to Microsoft indicated a driver error.

The HD is runing better now but I am afraid it might be unstable, what should I do?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help ( and TSForum in general)

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The first thing I would do would be to backup like crazy, just incase. f you have stuff you can not afford to loose then back it up!!

I am not sure what drive you have but if you do know go to the manufacturers web site and see if they have a diagnostic tool you can download, they generally run in dos mode from a floppy. This should give you a better indication of your drives health.

If all checks out ok, you can see if a good defragment helps any but if you are really worried the drive will fail i would just replace it and when you have a new drive install it as a slave and use a programm like XXclone and make a full bootable image of your current drive onto the new one, you can then remove the old one and boot to the new one with everything as it was before and continue with your business

https://www.xxclone.com/
you can download XXclone as a 30day trial and it is fully functional
Closed Thread