Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

HD copy- OS not found

This is a discussion on HD copy- OS not found within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Alright. I'm Sean, I'm a newbie, and I'm throwing a curveball :D I am running WinXP on a PIII with

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 08:55 AM   #1

Confused

Alright. I'm Sean, I'm a newbie, and I'm throwing a curveball :D
I am running WinXP on a PIII with 352M RAM. The only catch is, it's on a Mac. Virtual PC is indeed a wonderful thing.

My issue as such is that when I first set up the virtual machine, I put WinXP on a 2G virtual drive (think of it as a real physical hard drive which is, when specified, always properly connected, and is preinstalled with all appropriate drivers). Naturally, this has led to problems including <6% free disk space (no defrags, etc.) and <250M free disk space (Windoes not happy). I made and mounted a 10G drive and dropped most of my documents onto it, but the 2G drive has since filled up with other stuff I can't just move. I am currently trying to exactly copy everything from the 2G drive to a new clean 5 or 10G drive, but despite mounting both in OSX and doing a direct exact copy of the whole drive, when I try to boot from the freshly exactly copied drive, it can't find the OS. I'm trying to figure out why, since I've copied over everything including all system files. Is there any particular drive initialization that needs to be done on a drive before installed OSs can be recognized?

I can mount up to 3 hard drives and have them all work in WinXP, along with CD and any USB devices, but when I boot into DOS, only the primary drive is recognized, and CD support is questionable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2004, 11:23 AM   #2

Addenum: the 2G drive is FAT16, all others I've tried creating are FAT32. I can create a FAT16 format drive, but that won't exactly resolve the space issue. Virtual PC doesn't love working in NTFS (PC works, but cross-platform file integration features don't). Is there any way under XP to convert just to FAT32 without doing a full wipe/reformat or going directly to NTFS? I'd imagine if I can get that far, I might find some way to toy with the drive image file in OSX to increase the drive capacity. I'm working on some Win98 machines at work and noticing the FAT32 conversion wizard, but XP has no such obvious tool.

Tangentially, I noticed after converting a copy of the 2G drive to NTFS that booting into PC-DOS was still an option, even though DOS hypothetically can't handle anything beyond FAT16. If I do convert to FAT32 or NTFS and try to run older DOS apps (notably Commander Keen games :bounce: ), will I run into serious issues?

Also, yes, Virtual PC can boot from boot disks if that will be necessary. In general, if anyone gives advice in terms of a real physical machine, I should be able to work out the appropriate VPC analogs.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:46 PM   #3

"I'm trying to figure out why, since I've copied over everything including all system files. Is there any particular drive initialization that needs to be done on a drive before installed OSs can be recognized?"

just copying programs will not work within a windows environment...mac is differnt and you may get away with it.... when you install something within windows it installs a bunch of stuff..files...registery settings all the good stuff that cannot simply be copied.

"I can mount up to 3 hard drives and have them all work in WinXP, along with CD and any USB devices, but when I boot into DOS, only the primary drive is recognized, and CD support is questionable."
DOS is only able to see about 4gigs max! so if those 3 HD's equal to more than 4gigs sorry.

To the whole of your second post... You cannot go backwards from NTFS to FAT 16/32 without formatting there is no work around that I know of that will get you to do this and have u not loose data... but you can go from FAT16/32 to NTFS. "If I do convert to FAT32 or NTFS and try to run older DOS apps (notably Commander Keen games ), will I run into serious issues?" you will definitly run into issues but there is a nifty little program called DOSBOX that will help you out..to get it just go to google and search for it..best of all it is free. That way you can install WINXP and have a DOS emulator to help u play your old games.

Kinda wordy but hope it helps...any more question just post :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2004, 01:16 PM   #4

so... I dig out my XP install CD, put XP on a new 4-5M drive in FAT32 since I can't as such just pop the old drive to FAT32 from FAT16 (I only upped to NTFS on a test copy of the drive- the one I'm keeping is still FAT16 precisely because there's no backtracking), copy over all the crap I've lost installers for from the old drive, get DOSBOX (can DOSBOX do >4m drive access?) and hope MS doesn't think I'm pirating anything and make me re-activate windows, complaining when I do?

I think I might try mucking with the existing drive image file first...

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:50 PM   #5

go with fat 32 cause it is better than fat16 dosbox should see everything... i use it at home and I have a 120gig HD and have no issues. MS won't have issues with you reinstalling so no worries there. if you rare gonna play around with the existing drive backup anything important first

other than that go hard and enjoy!
Closed Thread