Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Have I lost everything?

This is a discussion on Have I lost everything? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. My first post here or anywhere similar and I'm a relative newbie (and self-taught) so apologies if I miss

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi. My first post here or anywhere similar and I'm a relative newbie (and self-taught) so apologies if I miss out any important info! I'll try and include everything.

So, I have an inateck 1TB external hard drive that I use for backups mostly. I had recently dug out my old laptop and copied all my docs, pics etc onto it to keep / transfer what I needed, as I wanted to install Linux on the old one.
On my newer laptop, running Windows 10, I downloaded the iso file etc for Linux, then (going on advice on another forum) I:
- partitioned my external HDD, formatted the new small partition to FAT32 (rest was NTFS)
- unmounted the partition that contained my existing files, using Disk Management in Windows (using this guide: )
- flashed the iso file onto the new small partition on the external HDD using Etcher.

Now I KNOW I'm the idiot here, as I *thought* I'd also copied the files into my OneDrive, but I should have checked. And I should have just used a USB flash drive for the iso file, but I couldn't find one ANYWHERE in the house and I was impatient.

End result - I have installed Linux on the old laptop, so obviously everything is wiped from there. Turns out, the files weren't copied to OneDrive for some reason, and I have plugged the external drive back into my newer Windows laptop and gone to remount the partition with the files in as per the guide linked above, but it appears the whole disk has been ?formatted or something - I can't seem to do anything with it. I've attached a screen grab of my Disk Management screen.

So, is there a way to undo this and recover the partition (or at lease some of the files!!) or have I lost them for good?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DiskMan.png
Views:	17
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	324258  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

You can try Recuva which is free of GetDataBack which is better but not free and see what files you can recover from that drive.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

You can also try TestDisk to recover the entire partition that once occupied the unallocated space. Link to TestDisk is in my signature. By the way, there is no link to the guide you mention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2019, 04:35 AM   #4
Hardware Tech Team

My System

I usually use mini_tool
Closed Thread