Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Have I killed another hdd?

This is a discussion on Have I killed another hdd? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone. I've just got round to replacing an old hdd with an ssd on my PC. I cloned the

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 04:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone.

I've just got round to replacing an old hdd with an ssd on my PC. I cloned the hdd, removed it, installed the ssd and tested. The new ssd works a treat. The operating system works no drama. The intention was to then use the old hdd as storage.

The problem I now have is that for some unknown reason the old hdd is no longer recognised. I put it into a caddy then plugged it in but whilst Disk Manager sees it it states "No media" with 0 bytes. I've tried it on Win 10, 7, XP and even Linux. Whilst Windows makes a connection sound it is not shown on File Explorer only Disk Manager (See above) Linux is the same. Given this I am unable to format it and erase the old operating system.

I'm guessing it was because the drive was previously listed as 😄 and there's now a conflict but even changing the drive letter does nothing.

This is the second time that this has happened. I had the exact same issue previously - "No media" (Was previously messing around on some v old kit) Given this is the second occurrence I'm guessing it's something I'm doing.

Everything I've read on the net hasn't helped hence my post here.

Can the drive be reused or is it finished?

Any ideas gratefully appreciated.👏
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 05:04 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

I would have the hdd attached internally and directly to the PC and not via a caddy.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:48 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The message you are seeing is that the Caddy is not getting enough power from the USB port of the computer.
Your USB Caddy is the problem. Does it have it's own power adapter? If not, you should use a USB Adapter, Dock or Enclosure that has it's own power adapter.
Be sure to plug the USB cable into the Back USB port of the computer (desktop) and not the front as these ports are weaker.
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 02:47 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply guys - appreciated

A couple of questions if I may?

Stancestans - given I have already changed the old drive letter (to z:) I assume there will be no conflict when I boot the system with both the old and new drives in place? Last thing I want to do now is lose the new ssd.

spunk.funk - If the issue is power related why is windows still able to see the drive albeit I cannot do anything with it? Would it not simply be the case that it's "Seen" or "Not seen"

Thanks in advance
Old 04-06-2019, 03:42 AM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eah_Dunno View Post
Thanks for the reply guys - appreciated

A couple of questions if I may?

Stancestans - given I have already changed the old drive letter (to z:) I assume there will be no conflict when I boot the system with both the old and new drives in place? Last thing I want to do now is lose the new ssd.

The drive letters that you assigned within Windows do not matter outside Windows. In other words, the BIOS does not rely on drive letters to determine which drive to boot from. To make sure that the system boots from the SSD and not the HDD, enter BIOS setup and change the boot order such that the SSD gets top priority. Alternatively, you can play safe by unplugging the SSD and then boot from Windows installation media, launch Command Prompt, run DiskPart and use the CLEAN command to wipe all partitions from the hdd. After that, you can reconnect the SSD being assured that the hdd doesn't contain any partitions or OS, and therefore not bootable.

Quote:

spunk.funk - If the issue is power related why is windows still able to see the drive albeit I cannot do anything with it? Would it not simply be the case that it's "Seen" or "Not seen"

Thanks in advance
Windows is seeing the caddy (a USB - SATA bridge), which is a device itself, whether an HDD is attached to it or not. That's why it says no media. So, no, Windows will see the caddy as long as it's still functional, and by itself it doesn't need a lot of power to be detected by Windows, but once a HDD is attached, the power requirement changes because the caddy should be able to supply enough power to the HDD for it (HDD) to work.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:38 AM   #6
Registered Member

Stancestans - Thank you.

Your explanation really helpled and I've learned something today. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Problem solved.

Thanks again
Closed Thread