Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Has my hard drive taken its last breath?

842 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  fzabkar 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, noob here.
My old-by-computer-standards HP Pavilion has decided it doesn't want to start the OS. I have windows 7, and when I try to boot the computer, it threateningly states "Hard drive failure is imminent", forces me to choose between f2 which continues the boot up or f10 which sends me to what I believe to be the bios settings. I am afraid to mess with the bios settings (other than boot priority, which I am familiar with), so I usually choose f2. After pressing f2, I see the "windows 7 is loading" screen, but after a minute or two of nothing happening, the computer resets.

That does seem like something that would be caused by a hard drive failure, but I also tried booting from a Ubuntu live USB, which I thought wouldn't need the hard drive to function. Does Ubuntu live USB actually need a hard drive to start up, or is there a second problem with my computer, a RAM failure for example.

Thanks beforehand. Don't criticize me if I sound like a complete idiot please, because I barely know enough terminology to write this post.

#2 ·
what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

when it says the h/d is failing it is time to backup before it fails

install a new drive and get it up and running

then seeing if you can save the hard drive probably not

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.