Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Harddrive visible/mountable in Linux but unbootable?

This is a discussion on Harddrive visible/mountable in Linux but unbootable? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a ATA WDC WD3200KS-75P which I can mount with Ubuntu, which is installed on a seperate drive, but

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a ATA WDC WD3200KS-75P which I can mount with Ubuntu, which is installed on a seperate drive, but cannot boot a fresh image of XP. From DOS it shows the the message "cannot read from last sector" and sometimes does not even see the drive. I have used gparted to erase the original Windows XP partition, partition 2 and renew the ntfs filesystem. I then used the Dell System Restore partition, partition 3 to restore the OS to partition 2. This partition is visible and mountable from ubuntu but does not boot. I ran a file system check from KDE partition Manager and received "Error reading $Mft record(s) : Input/output error." I also ran a check with TestDisk that showed no errors with the partitions. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
Registered Member

Update: I'm thinking of reformatting and repartitioning entire disk. Any thoughts if this may help or am I wasting my time? Any help or advice would be most appreciated.
Closed Thread