Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Harddrive trouble: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7

This is a discussion on Harddrive trouble: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey all! Recently I've been trying to have a look at some of my old, abandoned hard drives to see

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey all!

Recently I've been trying to have a look at some of my old, abandoned hard drives to see what's on them. Among them are two Seagate Barracudas, one of which is a 7200.8 (300gbs, SATA) while the other is a 7200.7 (160gbs, IDE). The second is the one I'm most interested in trying to access. More specifically it's an st3160021A 9W2001-060 with a 10025912 PCB.

This second hard drive booted up when I first connected it externally with a USB IDE adaptor. I was halfway through performing a scan in recovery software Recuva when the scan froze and the drive became inaccessible. Since then I've been unable to access the drive -- it spins up fine, but (if I have the data cable connected) makes a pattern of head-seeking-sounding clicks which seem to suggest the heads are repetitively having trouble reading anything of the disk. Sometimes the disk shows up in windows, but as a lettered volume without any information about its size or similar.

I mentioned its sister drive, the 7200.8, because behaviour is pretty much identical -- it does the same thing, makes pretty much the exact same noises when connected.

In the course of my connecting and disconnecting (trying different power sources) I managed to short the PCB, meaning the drive stopped spinning entirely. I've since removed the two TVS diodes and the drive is spinning up fine again.

In the end I took the SATA 7200.8 apart (because I didn't much care about its data) and could see nothing obviously wrong with it -- no marks on the topside of the platter, the heads moved in close to the central spindle, the white sponge media clean, etc.

So, any advice? I'm a total novice at all of this. I'd love to get into the drive long enough to clone it, or even just to get several gigs of data off it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

The clicks could indicate a defective HD. Storage temps usually aren't a problem (unless you left it in an unheated garage). On the other hand, any magnetic field can be a destructive force.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hey Corday, thanks for responding. Sure, the HDD is clearly defective in some way or another. It was stored for a few years on a book shelf in a bedroom -- so, unlikely to be too cold or too hot and most likely far away from magnetic interference.

That said, it's certainly got one or more problems -- I suppose I was wondering whether anyone had any insight into what those problems might be and how they could potentially be remedied. I'm happy to provide any further info if it's helpful, of course. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

OK you removed the cover-plate and back including peeling back the label where additional screws were found. Jumper set correctly? Unfortunately there was no visible problem. That takes me back to the HD being defective as the clicking sound is a major indicator. Unless someone posts a better suggestion, I'd say the HD is toast.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hi again. The drive I opened up was the other drive; since it had the same symptoms (wasn't recognised, appears in My Computer but not accessible, same noise) I thought it might shed some light on the issue, but I could see nothing. I've not opened up the 7200.7 yet as am keeping that as a last resort.

There's no jumper on the drive at the moment. My other 3 or 4 drives I'm playing around with show up regardless of jumper settings -- but this is something I should definitely experiment with. I'm also planning on trying the disk in another computer whose mobo has IDE compatibility internally.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:34 PM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearsman View Post
Hi again. The drive I opened up was the other drive; since it had the same symptoms (wasn't recognised, appears in My Computer but not accessible, same noise) I thought it might shed some light on the issue, but I could see nothing. I've not opened up the 7200.7 yet as am keeping that as a last resort.

There's no jumper on the drive at the moment. My other 3 or 4 drives I'm playing around with show up regardless of jumper settings -- but this is something I should definitely experiment with. I'm also planning on trying the disk in another computer whose mobo has IDE compatibility internally.
You won't see anything inside indicative of a problem.
Closed Thread