Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

HardDrive Int to Ext Problem

This is a discussion on HardDrive Int to Ext Problem within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. As part of the payment for fixing 3 Toshiba computers using parts from a fourth, I received the internal Sata

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

As part of the payment for fixing 3 Toshiba computers using parts from a fourth, I received the internal Sata 350 GB hard drive from the 4th. I did check it using one of the other Toshiba's and it did work. Now I have the drive in a generic external enclosure, but when I connect it to my Windows 7 system the enclosure gets recognized. The drive itself never does. It is not even assigned a drive letter. When I look at it in Computer Management, it looks like the drive isn't initialized, but it has a working copy of Windows 8 on it. Unfortunately, I cannot initialize it using CompManager or Acronis Disk Director, nor will it allow me to use the cmd prompt and diskpart to adjust any setting. When the drive was used on the other Toshiba it had a hard drive password (I know the password) in the bios. I need to know if the password is blocking my use of the hard drive, or if the drive may be having another type of problem. I will only be able to check this post on Sunday the 20th of July. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. If you need additional info, I will be online after around 1 pm on the 20th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

The Password may be the problem, so remove the HDD from the enclosure and attach it internally to a desktop computer.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XPsp3-Win8.1,Win10v1709FCU, Ubuntu16.04,Zorin,ISOLinux, Android4.3,CiscoIOS

My System

It also may be a low-quality drive enclosure. There are lots of those with problems. Where did you buy it? Was it new or used; used ones can have problems as with any other electronics.

Here's an example of a good brand enclosure: Amazon.com: Vantec USA NexStar CX 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure (NST-200S3-BK): Electronics
If you cannot remove the hard drive password, download the Ultimate BootCD *UBCD* linux tools disc from my signature link below. There are several utilities on the CD under HDD (Hard Disk Drive) that let you remove set passwords from hard drives.

BIGBEARJEDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2014, 01:09 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

When a working drive that does not have enough power to it, through an inexpensive USB enclosure, Windows may think it is a RAW drive and want to Initialize it. Try a USB adapter or put it into another USB enclosure with a power adapter.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you spunk.funk.

It was the password.
Closed Thread