Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard drive wierdness (2 HDs in a raid, 1 hard drive by itself)

This is a discussion on Hard drive wierdness (2 HDs in a raid, 1 hard drive by itself) within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. First off, heres some relevant information off dell.com (I entered in my service tag): 1 G0729 CARD (CIRCUIT)..., PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD)...,

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

First off, heres some relevant information off dell.com (I entered in my service tag):

1 G0729 CARD (CIRCUIT)..., PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD)..., DIMXPS
1 4Y511 CARD (CIRCUIT)..., CONTROLLER..., Serial ATA..., PROMISE, DIMENSION..., PRECISION WORKSTATION...
1 R0085 HARD DRIVE..., 120GB, 7.2K, Serial ATA..., Seagate-Avalache...
1 R0085 HARD DRIVE..., 120GB, 7.2K, Serial ATA..., Seagate-Avalache...

The 4Y511 CARD is a Fastrak S150 Tx2plus, with Bios v.1.00.20.40, amd the 2 hard drives were in a RAID 0 array.

(Let me know if more information is needed... and yes, the "..."s were all there on the page, I didn't excise information and replace them with "..."s.)

Now then, on to my tale of woe:

One day my computer bluescreened on me. It gave me the "if this is the first time you have seen this message" error message, and further down, it said "beginning memory dump".... but there was no progress on the dump- the computer was just ... stuck.. as it was.

So I reboot.

Then I found that the raid array was offline. Upon further inspection I found that the first hard drive in the array was being detected just fine, but the second one was not.

Needless to say, I wasn't happy about that. After doing the obvious (checking the cables, unplugging and replugging), I decided to give Spinrite a try, since I had the cd just sitting around.

It seems as though Spinrite can see each hard drive- although, strangely, it can only see 1 HD at a time- if I have both plugged in, it sees the first one, and if I unplug the first one, it sees the second one...

Incidentally, whenever I try to use Spinrite to check for errors (this is the same for both HDs), I get the following error message:

A critical error occured at: 394A from which Spinrite CANNOT recover. The system has been halted!

EAX: 00000000 ESI: 00007FFC
EBX: 00000000 EDI: 0000074C
ECX: 00000080 EBP: 00000000
EDX: 00010200 ESP: 00003FEA

Thats the first part of the error message; that part was identical for both hds. But below that was something that was different for each HD.

For the first one it read,

ds:13F1 es:13F1 fs: 7427
gs: 0040 ss:3780 fl:0246

And for the second one,

ds:10B1 es:10B1 fs:6FE8
gs 0040 ss:3440 fl:0246

Oh, and last but not least, I tried using a third (brand new) hard drive- a WD Caviar SE16.

I managed to install windows XP onto this third hard drive using my brother's recovery cd*, but then I ran into another problem: the hard drive would show up in the bios but it wouldn't show up in the boot order menu.

(interestingly, at this point windows XP seemed to boot... that is, it got to the black screen after the loading screen.. but then it hung for several hours so I just gave up and turned the computer off. This only happened once, though- I never got it to happen again).

Then the computer was taken to Best Buy** and the people there did something to it, and now the hard drive shows up in the boot order menu... but still doesn't work (that is, windows XP won't start... its as if the computer doesn't even see the HD is there while booting up, even though the bios can see it just fine).

By this time I had managed to get a real windows xp cd and tried installing windows XP on it, but I get a "session3_initialization_failed" error message during the installation of XP...

At this point I'm considering chalking this up to gremlins and moving on, but part of me really wants to know what the hell is going on.

*it was for his laptop- I had lost the recovery cd(s) for my own computer during a move.

**A relative spirited it away and brought it back after a day at my insistence (mostly due to my foolish pride).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread