Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard Drive Temperature Too High?

This is a discussion on Hard Drive Temperature Too High? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a computer that I put together that has a Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB drive in it. Its

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a computer that I put together that has a Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB drive in it.

Its the wd2002faex model.

From reading online, it seems that the drive naturally runs at higher temp then most.
The temp in the case itself if fairly cool. The CPU is running about 120F, and most of the sensors are in the 90s. The hard drive however is at 120F (48C) most of the time, even when idle.

Could there be something wrong with the drive, or is it because that model tends to run a little higher?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
Registered Member

I would suggest you to scan your drive with the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic utility to check and possibly fix errors on your hard drive's media. As 48C in idle mode is a bit unusual. Sometimes bad sectors on the media causes the hard drive to go beyond normal temperatures.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hey Doublez94. Go ahead and follow @Frozwire's advice about DLG. It really does sound a bit odd, does the temperature go up when you read/write from the disk for a longer time? Usually if it's under 60įC you should be OK, this is the cap for operating temperature. If the temperature keeps getting up, I'd recommend that you backup just to be on the safe side (even though there's little you should worry about) and contact our customer support directly: Contact Us

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks guys! Yeah I'll definitly download the WD Lifeguard tools.

The highest I've ever seeen it go is 122, even during some intensive reads/writes. But yet it still just idles at 120. I'll see what the Lifeguard tool says
Old 11-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublez94 View Post
Thanks guys! Yeah I'll definitly download the WD Lifeguard tools.

The highest I've ever seeen it go is 122, even during some intensive reads/writes. But yet it still just idles at 120. I'll see what the Lifeguard tool says
Yep, if everything's OK with the DLG tests, just remember to keep an eye on it from time to time to see if it overheats or something and backup, although it sounds like it would be fine. :)
Closed Thread