Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard Drive Stopped Working?

This is a discussion on Hard Drive Stopped Working? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, i haves a problem. I'm building a computer, rather upgrading. I was putting in a 250GB IDE Hard drive.

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hi, i haves a problem.
I'm building a computer, rather upgrading.
I was putting in a 250GB IDE Hard drive. The computer already had and 80GB Hardrive in it. The model is a HP Inspire. I Formatted the drive fine while running XP from the original drive. I then tested it works by copying some music onto it. Then i turned it off and unplugged the original drive. I then proceeded to install windows XP onto the drive. A weird thing when i was installing in was that when it told me to format the disc, i could only use 80634 MB of it in a partition. Anyways, when i finish the XP install, it tells me hat iit will reboot and finish the install after, but when it reboots, it goes into xp setup all over again. I cant even access the bios. Soomeone i talked to said that it was a problem with the drives not being able to autodetect. The bios is an award bios. Yes i did try ctrl+f, delete, insert, F12 and everything else at startup.
im thinking that i should check the motherboard and try to find out how to access the bios.
Help plz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Try f2 and f10 to access the BIOS. If the drive was found correctly once, it probably isn't a BIOS issue. When you removed the other drive, did you change the jumpers to make the 250 the default drive? Formatting was NTFS correct? Does your Xp install disk include any service packs or is it bare XP?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

i tried F2 & F10
Yes i changed the jumper, the settings are
-slave
-master w/ slave present
-single or master
it is currently configed as master w\ slave present, as there is a CD an a DVD drive attached, but nt on the same IDE Cable
Formatting was NTFS
I believe it is bare XP, it sasy Version 2002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
Registered Member

well, i guess im screwed...
Old 03-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

If it is the only drive on the cable then it should be master single drive. the master/slave pairing is per cable. IOW each cable will have a master and then can have a slave
Old 03-31-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Registered Member

Okay, well i somewhat fixed the problem... i guess.
i put the drive in another computer and formatted it and gave it a new partition.
I then tried to boot it and used the XP disc. It worked. But i got XP to install up to the point where it actually starts copying the files it copies a few and then stops at a file called (sorry, dont remember, will insert here) .sys . so now what?
Closed Thread