Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard drive speed question

This is a discussion on Hard drive speed question within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm looking at putting a new computer together and had a question. I'm going with SATA drives. However, I'd like

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I'm looking at putting a new computer together and had a question. I'm going with SATA drives. However, I'd like to get some really fast drives, like the WD Raptor drives. The only problem I saw with them is that they're 1.5Gb drives. Would the transfer speed negate the speed increase of going with a 10K RPM drive? Would I be better of getting slower drives that can operate at 3.0Gb? Will I even see 1.5Gb or even 3.0Gb when moving files around?

I'll be using a PCI-Express hardware RAID card (RAID 5) in case it matters.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

hello SKIE

all that blazing speed we all hear about with SATA drives is PURE market hype! Sata drives are faster than IDE drives but you wont need a seat belt to stop you from going thru the monitor by any means

there is no single sata drive that I have seen or heard about yet that has broke the 100mb/sec "sustained" transfer rate

so the 150mb/sec rate of the WD is not being challenged by anyone, other than the ultra scsi's and their big $$$$$

all that 300mb/sec and 3.0GB/sec are all theoretical speeds

if you want to be theoretically faster then you are all set

the only truely big improvement I have seen with sata is the thin data cables which improve air flow ALOT

the rest is all P-R fluff

I have two WD raptors in my office machine I dont see any speed improvement over their 7,200 rpm brothers

just like the 15,000 RPM scsi drive I have now is only slightly faster than other 10,000 rpm scsi drives I have had

I would say; look for a good deal on any SATA drive which suits your needs, but dont spend any "extra" money chasing B.S. speed improvements
Old 09-21-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by linderman View Post
hello SKIE

all that blazing speed we all hear about with SATA drives is PURE market hype! Sata drives are faster than IDE drives but you wont need a seat belt to stop you from going thru the monitor by any means

there is no single sata drive that I have seen or heard about yet that has broke the 100mb/sec "sustained" transfer rate

so the 150mb/sec rate of the WD is not being challenged by anyone, other than the ultra scsi's and their big $$$$$

all that 300mb/sec and 3.0GB/sec are all theoretical speeds

if you want to be theoretically faster then you are all set

the only truely big improvement I have seen with sata is the thin data cables which improve air flow ALOT

the rest is all P-R fluff

I have two WD raptors in my office machine I dont see any speed improvement over their 7,200 rpm brothers

just like the 15,000 RPM scsi drive I have now is only slightly faster than other 10,000 rpm scsi drives I have had

I would say; look for a good deal on any SATA drive which suits your needs, but dont spend any "extra" money chasing B.S. speed improvements
hi linderman!

Thanks for the response. I wasn't aware of that fact. If I had the money, I'd go with a bunch of Seagate Cheetah's, but alas, I'm like everyone else.

Total storage isn't exactly a concern for me, but faster file I/O is as I tend to do a bit of I/O from time to time. So I'm trying to just get the fastest that I can.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

150 gig raptor than I say would fit the bill
Old 09-26-2007, 06:04 PM   #5

My 200 gb Maxtor SATA, 1.5 g/s only benchmarks with SisSandra at 53 m/s. I don't know why that is yet and in fact that is why I am here now. I can't prove that it is even working as an SATA.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #6

A couple things I wanted to mention.

1. When you look at benchmarks for sustained transfer rates, the Raptors actually only get about 10 MB/s faster ratings in the benchmarks.

2. Higher density (sectors per track) will also increase transfer rate. This means that a 500 GB hard drive @ 7200 RPM may come very close to the speed of a 150 GB Raptor.

If you have a RAID controller look into two identical hard drives in RAID 1 which will double your theoretical read speed but keep the write speed the same. The benefit of RAID 1 is that your drives are mirrored so that if one fails you can simply boot off the other one.
Closed Thread