Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard Drive Search

This is a discussion on Hard Drive Search within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am a video editor and I am trying to find a good hard drive array system that fits my

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am a video editor and I am trying to find a good hard drive array system that fits my needs however it is difficult with my limited understanding of how these systems work.

I would like to have an enclosed hard drive array station similar to:
•Promise Tech Pegasus 3 R4
•G-Tech GSpeed Shuttle 4 Bay array
•LaCie 6Big

(As I'm sure you know) All of these arrays are RAID arrays and feature removable hard drives of various size options. I would like to be able to use each hard drive for a different video project and Hot-Swap drives as needed, however, after my research on RAID systems, I am unsure if I am able to use a system intended for RAID use as individual hard drives.

Just some key information of OS system being used.
>2017 MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz i7
>16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Memory
>Radeon Pro 630 Graphics card.

All of the ports on this computer are Thunderbolt 3/USB-C so having an array system that uses TB3/USB-C would be great.

Thanks
-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

RAID is defined as 2 or more HDD's built into an Array. So, they create one larger HDD.
If you want an enclosure that has 3 or more HDD's that are independent of each other and can be hot swapped out, then you don't want to create a RAID. You would have each HDD be independent of the others for your various projects, so they are hot swapable.
Or you can keep it as a RAID array, and partition the drive into separate partitions for each project, but hot swapping will break the array. Unless you are replacing a drive that has failed. Then you would boot into the RAID control panel and rebuild the array.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

So the fact that I need to use each drive independently use means I should stay away from anything RAID?
Is there a rack unit I can buy that allows me to hot-swap different drives back and forth that uses TB3/USBc and works with Mac OS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I would get a NAS enclosure that is Diskless.https://www.amazon.com/s?k=diskless+...f=nb_sb_noss_2 Meaning, no HDD's. You then can buy the HDD's separate, and install them into the NAS In a JBOD configuration not a RAID. They will show up on your network as separate drives.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you, I will look into NAS enclosures!
-Matt
Closed Thread