Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard drive RPM Question ??

This is a discussion on Hard drive RPM Question ?? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i have 2 hard drives i want to attach as master and slave ...one is 5200RPM which i want to

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

i have 2 hard drives i want to attach as master and slave ...one is 5200RPM which i want to attach as slave ...7200 RPM i want to attach as slave ..could somebody please explain me if it matters ?? if yes then what 's the best possible way to do that ...
thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Attach them as long as you stay with a standard hookup and there will be no problem with them.

For example, if you have a slave drive on the ribbon cable, you MUST also have a Master drive on that cable. You just can't have a slave without a master. However, you can have a master without a slave.

The problem I see is that in one sentence you said you wanted one as master and one as slave. Then, you said you wanted both to be slaves.

Therefore, I suggest you set up the 7200 RPM as the master and the slower one as slave on the same ribbon cable. Be sure you are using an 80 connector cable.

If you have questions, please ask.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

i was trying to replace my old SATA hard drive with a new SATA hard drive ...this one is bit complicated bcoz it has capacity of 200 GB ....i got from internet some hard drives have some trouble when it has capacity more then 137 GB ....shd i take some precaution before installing it ..
another things is my computer stuck at verifying DMI pool data at startup ...it was running okay before and i reset everything to default setting for my CMOS and BIOS setup...but its still not working ..could anybody please tell me how can i get out of this problem
thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2007, 04:15 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

That is kind of a different problem than I thought you were describing earlier. First of all, be sure you format it NTFS and not Fat32. Be sure you have SP2 with your OS. Then, I suggust that you remove/unplug the IDE hard drives before you start. Then, be sure you have Sata drivers to load at the F6 prompt when it asks if yoiu have any drivers as it starts to load.

Then, load the OS, then the chipset drivers, then other motherboard disk drivers/programs, and away you should go.

If you still get the DMI error, here is some info:

DMI or DesktopManagement Interface is a layer of abstraction between system components and the software that manages them. The System Management BIOS (SMBIOS) is an extension of the Basic Input Output System (BIOS) that formulates and delivers this information to the operating system.

The pool data is the information. In short, when the BIOS is "Verifying DMI pool data" it is verifying the table of data it sends to the
operating system (Windows, etc.). If it isn't sucessful, it should return an error.

Wait a reasonable period of time for it to finish. It may make take some time or it may be stuck.

Possible fixes:

1. If you changed the hardware just before this problem occurred
(e.g., installed a new hard disk drive), unchange it.

2. If you installed a new hard disk drive, set the motherboard CMOS Setup to Auto for the
drive type. You may have to disconnect the drive first.

3. Enable "Reset Configuration Data" (may be "Force Update ESCD" in some CMOS Setuups) in the motherboard CMOS Setup PNP/PCI configuration. (Rebooting will automatically disabled
it after it has done its thing.)

4. The CMOS may be corrupted. Clear it.