Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard drive "pulsing" noise

This is a discussion on Hard drive "pulsing" noise within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Yesterday I purchased and installed a Maxtor DiamondMax10 300GB SATA drive. I installed it as a second hard drive for

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #1

Question

Yesterday I purchased and installed a Maxtor DiamondMax10 300GB SATA drive. I installed it as a second hard drive for data storage only. However now my computer is making a strange noise.

The noise is constant, no matter what tasks are being performed. It happens immediately from turning on the computer. I would describe it as being a "pulsing" sound. I hear 3 seconds of low noise, then it fades out to silence for about 3 seconds, then the noise picks up again for 3 seconds, etc etc. And this happens constantly even when the computer is idle. There is no difference in the noise when the drive is being accessed.

I don't know if the noise is coming directly from the drive, or from a fan or something, but the noise IS directly CAUSED by the drive. I opened up my computer and disconnected the drive's power and interface cables, and the noise immediately went away. But I left the drive in place, so the noise is not caused by something vibrating against the drive - it only happens when the drive is powered.

Thanks in advance for your help in resolving this issue.

Oh yeah, I should try to post some of my specs:

Alienware Area-51 7500
Dual-core P4 3.0GHz
1GB RAM
Primary drive - 160GB SATA
WinXP Home SP2

I'll be happy to answer questions if more info is needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

I don't know the answer to your question, but want you just to check that you do not have a wire that connects to the hard drive that is being slapped by a nearby fan. That happens quite often when you mess inside the case (at least to most techs), and when you disconnect the drive, you move the cable that is causing the fan to touch it. Just a thought you might want to check.

I would also suggest that you get the drive manufacturer's utility and run it to see if the drive is O.K. or having problems with something. Here is a link to the utility:

https://tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Old 01-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #3

I ran the Maxtor diagnostic tool and the drive appears to be fine. I'm pretty sure that there is nothing touching any fans. If this were the case then the noise would probably be constant - not pulsing in and out like this.

Someone has suggested that this noise could be caused by different RPMs between the two drives. At this point I'm not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

What you have discribed is bearing noise. Your fans can also make this noise when they start to go bad.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:39 AM   #5
Citizen of the world

I suggested in a different venue that you turn off the other drive and see if the sound is still present.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:03 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
Maxtor = :(

if its a new drive return it
Closed Thread