Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard drive partition

This is a discussion on Hard drive partition within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I've got a couple of issues with a recent installation of two OS installs on my CPU. I have

Like Tree2Likes

Old 04-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I've got a couple of issues with a recent installation of two OS installs on my CPU. I have a win 10 install. I decided to install a separate ver. of 7 to keep all of my music production related work/programs,and vst's on. I first was going to use the primary c; drive so I partitioned off 80 GB of it for that purpose. I later decided, that might not be wise. so I thought I deleted that volume, and created the windows 7 partition on my D; drive. I then renamed the new section A; windows 7. Now when I open disk management I see Disk 0 (c; drive) still has the 80GB partition, but it is now 70GB and it created a new 500 MB section. The new 500MB section has the same files as the original d;drive I created the windows 7 part. on.

question; how to I get rid of the two unnecessary (i believe) partitions on my Disk 0? Or even should I?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	win 10 drives.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	325536  
ron-e-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team

My System

Two quick things.

Were I you, I would reassign that drive letter A: for the Win7 partition. The A: drive letter has special meaning (floppy) at least from the 7 era backwards, and it has the potential to cause problem.

If you are taking routine full system image backups (the Windows 10 part) then, to me, the Recovery partition is not necessary. You could merge it with the 70 GB unallocated space, then merge that block of space on to the end of C: if you so desired. Unless you plan on creating another logical drive on that same SSD it's just an unused asset.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you britechguy Could you please explain to me how to do that correctly? Also when I am in win 7 It shows a new drive (I think it is the 500 MB partition) it calls it I; drive. I have a external drive but it is yet to work in the win 7 OS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Win 7 drives.PNG
Views:	13
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	325540  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2020, 02:02 PM   #4
Windows Tech Team

My System

I hesitate to give any specific advice in this instance because I have no idea how you managed to install Windows 7 to a drive with the letter A:, and now that it is installed that way I suspect that all of the paths use that drive letter, and would not take well to it being changed.

Giving a new drive letter is as easy as selecting the drive in the list at the top (provided it's not a reserved drive like Recovery), right clicking on it, and choosing Change drive letter and paths. But I doubt this will turn out well for an OS drive on which the OS is already installed.

From what you describe it sounds like Windows 7 has its own drive letter designation for what the Windows 10 instance knows as the A: drive.

I say the following with no nastiness intended, but at this point the only support I'm giving with regard to Windows 7 is how to get rid of it. I do not support any Windows OS that is past end of life.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:11 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

In Disk Management, right click the I: Drive and choose Change Drive Letter or Paths. Change the drive letter to NONE. Right click the A:\Windows 7 drive, do the same thing, right click it and choose Change Drive Letter or Paths and choose a Drive letter not being used.
As for the space on Disk 0 you created, you can right click it and choose to make a New Simple Volume and create a partition for that space, or you can Right click the C: drive and choose Extend Volume into the Unallocated Space taking it all up making the C: drive larger. This is much easier done with a 3rd party app like Minitool Partition Wizard.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

I understand britechguy And thank You.
spunk.funk Should I do this from Win 10 (that already shows no drive letter or none) for the 500 MB Partition, or Win 7that has it as Drive I ?
Old 04-17-2020, 03:23 PM   #7
Registered Member

Downloaded MPT on win 10 changed drive A; to L;. re- booted to Win 7 downloaded Mini tool again except this time it stalls at this point.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Minitool stall.PNG
Views:	7
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	325542  
Old 04-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Decline the Additional Software, just install the app.
Old 04-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #9
Registered Member

Still stalls.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Right click the A:\Windows 7 drive, do the same thing, right click it and choose Change Drive Letter or Paths and choose a Drive letter not being used.
Can't change it in Win7. did in 10 but it still remains A in 7, I get the parameter is incorrect error. Using windows "Disk Manager". Couldn't get Mini partition tool to install on 7 for some reason.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:46 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

There may be an issue with those drives and Windows 7, Try Easeus Partition Master
Old 04-18-2020, 02:14 PM   #12
Registered Member

I have successfully downloaded EaseUs. spunk.funk would you mind to guide me through this so I don't screw up something really bad! :) I want to gain all of Disk 0, or C; Drive back. Also re-name the Windows 7 partition from A; to L; while in 7 if possible.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:50 PM   #13
Registered Member

Any freeware that is free?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Really.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	325558  
Old 04-19-2020, 02:23 AM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

the Easeus link is a free Trial, To change a Drive Letter in Easeus, like Minitool, right click the Drive/Partition and choose Change Drive Letter. Choose a letter not in use.
Here are other features how to use it: https://www.easeus.com/tutorial/epm-...ser-guide.html
If you have any questions about doing a certain task, ask it in the next threa
Old 04-19-2020, 07:50 AM   #15
Registered Member

I would like to merge the 860.56 GB Primary partition with the 500 MB system active, Primary partition, or just delete the 500 MB system active, Primary. I would also like to merge or delete the unallocated Logical 70.47 GB partition I created.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #16
Registered Member

Can't seem to get any drive sizing done without paying $40 for it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	can't exacute any operations..PNG
Views:	6
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	325560  
Old 04-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

MInitool should work for free. if not these are other free downloads, Most programs require you to purchase them to unlock all the features .
https://www.lifewire.com/free-disk-p...-tools-2624950
Old 04-19-2020, 08:41 PM   #18
Registered Member

Thank You, spunk.funk for all your help, and links. much appreciated.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:43 PM   #19
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

You can simply close that upgrade prompt and continue using the program. The Later button will get it out of the way. Unless something has changed recently, memory tells me you should be able to use free EaseUs Partition Master or trial without paying for it to resize volumes. To answer an earlier question, on Windows 7, the OS or system drive (partition on which Windows is installed) is always assigned drive letter C while booting from it. Also, you can't change the drive letter while the resident Windows installation is up and running. You can change the letter from Windows 10 side and this letter only applies to the Windows 10 side. It won't apply to the Windows 7 side. From the Windows 7 side the Windows 7 partition will always be C regardless of what you assigned it from the Windows 10 side. Likewise, you can change the Windows 10 partition drive letter from the Windows 7 side, but it won't affect it from the Windows 10 side. I hope this is well understood now.
ron-e-g and djbillyd like this.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:43 AM   #20
Registered Member

Got it. Something must have changed. No execution possible, "Later" only closes window. execution only opens it again.