Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard drive or MB issues ?

This is a discussion on Hard drive or MB issues ? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My wife's Inspiron 17 5767 started making HDnoises.....tic tic tic......until it got louder and louder then failed completely The laptop

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 04:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

My wife's Inspiron 17 5767 started making HDnoises.....tic tic tic......until it got louder and louder then failed completely The laptop was still under warranty so I sent it back to Dell....they replaced the harddrive and sent it back. It's only been two weeks and the hard drive is making the same noise again....tic tic tic. Well before it went all the way out I bought another hard drive and loned the laptop HD......I then put t the laptopn and guess what.....tic tic tic. So I got the hard drive that Dell"replaced" stuck it in a dock and it didn't make any tic tic tic noises....ran quiet as it should. Now, my question for you geniuses.....what other hardware would casue the harddrive to go out ?? I want to figure it out before I contact Dell again. Is it the MB ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2018, 06:46 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

It would most likely be a power fault. It shouldn't matter of what the problem is to you as Dell should fix the entire machine for free.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Explain to Dell that you have gone thru 3 HDD's and it is still happening, so it has to be something else. Don't try and diagnose it yourself, just return it to Dell and let them figure it out. Always document your research with pictures, videos and calendar of each occurrence to solidify your case. they may end up giving you a Refurbished laptop in return for free.
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

@Jim624bob, I would examine the drive's SMART report with a tool such as CrystalDiskInfo:

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

Look for reallocated, pending or uncorrectable sectors.
Closed Thread