Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard drive not working but still spins

This is a discussion on Hard drive not working but still spins within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I posted in here a few weeks ago about my external hard drive that stopped working. When I connected it

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fzabkar

Old 04-19-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

I posted in here a few weeks ago about my external hard drive that stopped working. When I connected it to one of 4 different PCs it popped up but gave me a "fatal hardware error". Wasnt able to run chkdsk on it.

It still spins normal and sounds perfectly normal... based on the fact it still is spinning can anyone tell me what in it might be broken, or is it impossible to tell and I should just shut up and go to a professional? When this covid stuff is over with I am eager to see what it will cost to get it fixed, but i would be nice to know whether it is something that's an "easy fix" rather than something that's going to cost $1500.

Edit: I removed the hard drive from the external hard drive case and I have it plugged into a hard drive reader that essentially turns it into a USB drive.
dspcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2020, 05:02 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Do you hear any clicking noises from the drive? Fatal hardware error means it's mechanical. There's only a few parts that are in there....ie head/reader, armature and a few springs. Sounds like it stuck in the open position. Check out youtube for some videos on the subject.

As for removing it from the caddy. Once that is done I would connect it to the PC, internally and see if the drive can be accessed. If so, then it's your caddy.

This is why I don't like caddy's. I like to use HDD docking stations. They are USB connected and setup as hot swapable so you just insert HDD/SSD and in seconds it's recognized then you have complete access to it.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:31 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Do you hear any clicking noises from the drive? Fatal hardware error means it's mechanical. There's only a few parts that are in there....ie head/reader, armature and a few springs. Sounds like it stuck in the open position. Check out youtube for some videos on the subject.

As for removing it from the caddy. Once that is done I would connect it to the PC, internally and see if the drive can be accessed. If so, then it's your caddy.

This is why I don't like caddy's. I like to use HDD docking stations. They are USB connected and setup as hot swapable so you just insert HDD/SSD and in seconds it's recognized then you have complete access to it.

Thanks for your response. I tried using another old hard drive from an old PC in it and it works fine, though the drive itself is making some crazy noises!

My drive, the broken one, sounds normal to me. That's why I wasn't sure whether those specific symptoms alone would make it easy to diagnose.
dspcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
I removed the hard drive from the external hard drive case and I have it plugged into a hard drive reader that essentially turns it into a USB drive.
You didn't say, but putting the HDD into a new Enclosure didn't work? If your getting a critical Hardware error, it has failed. If the Bios recognizes your drive and it is listed in Disk Management you may be able to use data recovery software to recover the data. But the drive cannot be saved.
Any HDD that makes scrapping, or clicking noise is also a drive that is failing if not already failed. If you want data off that drive, copy it ASAP before the drive fails completely.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

The hard drive needs to load most of its firmware from a reserved System Area (SA) on the platters. If it cannot read the SA, then it doesn't come ready and identify itself to the BIOS or OS.

The hard drive -- a computer-within-a-computer:
https://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=2600
Stancestans likes this.
fzabkar is offline   Reply With Quote