Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard drive not working - burnt PCB?

5K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  satrow 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I need your help as I have got a problem with the hard drive. This morning the hard drive was working fine and there was no clicking noise. I was working on the hard drive to get the partition table to restore as it has been corrupted due to raw format. When I ran the test disk, it took me ages to complete the method to restore the partition, but I didn't realised what went wrong then the program started to stop working. I found out that the hard drive have stop working and it won't spin up when I tried with each different internal power connector. I have tried with my own hard drive which it works fine, so I guess the hard drive is dead.

However, I have looked at the PCB to find out why the hard drive won't spin up. I suspected as I can still see myself that the spindle motor wiring on the PCB to engaged with the motor axis to allows the platters to spins, is burnt. :(

Here's the picture:

Does anybody know if it have been burnt and where i can get a replacement PCB for this drive? If I get a replacement PCB is there even a good chance it would work again? It's an obvious to me that it have been burnt, it didn't go through the motor axis to make the platters to spins.

The model for that hard drive is MAXTOR 40gb DiamondMax Plus 8 and PCB is MZTCVGBRB5334A REV A.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

See less See more
#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I don't care what you are saying, but it's not my hard drive and it's my brother's so who do you think you are.

I have checked on ebay and i can find the same hard drive, but i can't find the parts to get spindle motor wiring for that hard drive. Do I need to buy the pcb or if it possible to buy the spindle motor wiring?

if so could you post the link?

yes it looks burnt but for a drive that old what could you expect?
well its not my hard drive but its my brother and he want it get fix because he has got important files in that hard drive which he have forgotten to backup.

As you can see the picture of the burnt spindle motor wiring, do I need to replace the pcb or the spindle motor wiring and is it possible to get it working again?

#10 ·
Yeah I know what you are saying, but you said "why not transfer the files from the disc to another disc" so I am saying that I can't transfer the files because the hard drive won't spin up.

I still need to know if i would need a new spindle motor wiring or if it would need to be soldering?

I have looked on ebay and it does have the same hard drive as I have got, but it only come with the whole hard drive. I am not too sure if it possible to get a new spindle motor wiring and where I could get one from?

#14 ·
#18 ·
There won't be any Volts across it, you need to check the resistance as stated in #5 - Ohms it needs to be set for. Did your multimeter not come with a manual?

It's a job I wouldn't even consider unless the potential remuneration was high and the data worth recovering - even then, I'd want to have 2 known good identical drives as donors - and call in someone with better soldering abilities than myself to help out.

#19 ·
Thanks satrow, yeah I have got manual for my multimeter. I need to know what is the max resistance that I can check with the hard drive and i want to know where i need to point it on the hard drive?

what concern me is if i use too much reading over the max limits, it would blown up the multimeter :(

#22 ·
I apologise for my outburst, and for my late reply.

It's not the same drive, but half way down the following page you will see some motor info:
Samsung SP0411N HDD Tutorial

The motor has three windings (A, B, and C). There is also a Common terminal. The pinout of your motor may be different, but the principle will be the same. Some motors don't have a common terminal, BTW.

You need to set your meter on the 200 ohms range. Then measure the resistance between the Common terminal and each of the ABC windings. They should all measure the same, probably 2 or 3 ohms.

The reading between any two of A, B, or C should be twice the above value.

Resistance readings must be taken in the absence of power. The meter injects a very small current into the component being measured (0.1mA on the 200 ohms range, and 1mA on the diode test range). Higher ranges use even less current, therefore there is no risk to your drive.

Good luck.

Sorry again.

#23 ·
Hi Chris,

it's no good PM'ing me for help, when I get problems like yours, I call some in to help out because I really don't have the in-depth knowledge or skills to deal with it myself.

Did you try the method in post #22 to get the measurements? Have you sourced any identical working drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.