Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard Drive no longer showing

This is a discussion on Hard Drive no longer showing within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a Dell Precision T7400 that came with three 1GB hard drives (though one of them never showed

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 07:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
I have a Dell Precision T7400 that came with three 1GB hard drives (though one of them never showed in disc management).

Using C: for programs and D: for data I have been happy with the PC until yesterday when D: disappeared.

I tried re-booting it does not appear nor in Disc Management or under Drives in Devices.

I removed what I believed to be the D: drive (at position 1 in the bays. C: being at position 0) and replaced it with the spare (that was in position 2 bay)

Now the PC even fails to complete Start Up, hanging at 'Starting Windows'.
I am running Windows 7 professional. I figured I could continue work using the spare drive while I sorted out how to recover what is on D: later. Now I'm stuck. Any advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Ok, I'm gonna take a shot in the Dark and make some guesses, that 1GB is actually 1TB Hard drives ? and probably configured as RAID5..

Chances are that you might be able to rebuild the array if that is the case.. but not sure if you broke the raid configuration by changing the disks.. Any chance you can confirm this ?

Old 03-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi,
Sorry, 1TB Afraid I don't know about being configured as RAIDS. I don't understand what that means.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The Dell Precision T7400 is a Workstation/Server. This is slightly different configuration then a standard home computer. It offers RAID configuration. That means if you have more then one HDD they can be setup to span across both drives and create one large HDD called a RAID0, Or with one drive mirroring the other, RAID1 or if it has 3 drives a RAID5. Where each drive has a little information about the other drives. If one fails, you can replace the drive and boot into the RAID control panel, and reset the array. Without loosing data.
When you start your computer, you should have an option to press a key combo Before Windows loads, usually CTRL+S or CTRL+R it will tell you on the screen. It goes by pretty fast. That allows you to enter the RAID control panel.Terms of Public Use
If you have a problem here, you might want to get a professional to help you that knows more about RAID.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hi, Thanks for the information. Before I start trying anything else new I thought it best to bring you up to date with what I done.
I have now re-connected the drives as they were. I have taken a screenshot (attached) to show how they are now looking.
Both Local Disk F: and G: report that they are not formatted. I know that one of these has all my work files from the last three years on it so I don't want to do anything that might make me lose that data.
Next step?
Old 03-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #6
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Hi, and welcome to TSF.

Your screenshot is not attached, please try again or let us know if you're having problems with that.

https://www.techsupportforum.com/cmp...ge=postinghelp Scroll down the page for how to post attachments.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 03-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Your attached screenshots did not come thru: https://www.techsupportforum.com/215...-screenshot-2/
Restart the computer and immediately press the key combo to enter the RAID Control panel. Here you can examine the RAID array and it will tell you which drive has failed and give you the option to rebuild the array.
If that doesn't work you can use this program NAS Data Recovery - RAID arrays - Buffalo Iomega DLink Seagate Western Digital - Data Recovery Software Products to recover your lost files and restore them to another drive of the same size or larger.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #8
Registered Member

Really sorry. I tried what has been suggested but had some failed attempts to re-boot again. The screen shot(three in one) is attached this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scrshots_1-3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	479.2 KB
ID:	319216  
Old 03-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

OK so you do not have 3 separate HDD's, you have only One (1) Hard Disk Drive. Disk0 installed and plugged in at this time. So, these Drives are not part of a RAID array. This 1 HDD is partitioned into 3 Drives. C: F: and G:
The F: and the G: are Logical Drives (lighter Blue banner) that are part of an Extended Partition (Dark Green Border). The F: and the G: drive have lost the file system and are in RAW file format.
You can try and recover the lost partitions by downloading Minitool Partition Wizard, and clicking on the left panel Partition Recovery.
If that fails you can try and recover your files by downloading and running the Free TestDisk Program. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or lager to restore your files to.
After backing up, To make the lost partitions usable again, In Disk Management you would need to Delete the Extended Partition, then delete each Logical Drive until all that's left, other then the C: drive is Unallocated Space. Then Right click the Unallocated Space and choose to make a Simple Volume, Format it NTFS.
Quote:
On your computer, you can have up to four drives at max, but by having extended partition, you can create more than four drives. Extended partition encloses logical drives and the number of drives that can be created depends on the Free Hard Drive capacity available on the system. You can create logical drives of different size and resize the drives in extended partition. While using and having benefits of extended partition features, you may come across a situation like above. The partition may go unrecognizable by the computer OS due to file system corruption or data on partition table where information of file system type is mentioned might have damaged.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:44 AM   #10
Registered Member

Hi spink.funk, thank you for helping me with this.
I know that what the display is now showing would lead you to believe that I have only one drive but before the fault it showed C: and D: the third drive has never shown up.
However, I DO have three drives and I have attached a shot from inside the case to prove it.
What I want to know is why the system has decided to ignore the second drive D: that I have been using for 5 or 6 years.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ThreeDrives.jpg
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	319222  
Old 03-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Restart the computer and press F2 and boot into Setup (Bios) under System Information, it should list all of the drives on your computer. If only one is showing up, then the other two are not fully plugged in, the SATA port on the motherboard is not Enabled, or the drives have failed.
In the Bios, go to Hard Drive Priority and see if they are listed. If not, go to SATA port, make sure the ports the drives are plugged into are Enabled. If so, then inside the case follow the Blue Data cable to the motherboard, make sure it is plugged in to that same port and it is plugged in tightly to the motherboard and it is plugged into the back of the drive tightly as well as the power plug. Switch SATA cables.
All fails, remove the drive from the computer and attach via a USB-SATA adapter, Dock or Enclosure with a power adapter. Once out of the computer with a power adapter attached, put your ear next to the drive, does it sound like it is spinning up, or is it spinning up then spinning down, or is it making a scraping noise, or is it totally silent, cold? If so, then it has failed and needs to be replaced.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #12
Registered Member

Thanks for the pointers. Here is what I have tried so far;
Via F2 I found that the three drives are listed 0, 1, and 2 but 1 and 2 were set to OFF. I set them both to ON and tried re-booting.
Please see attachment. Pressed F1 to continue and PC hung at Windows logo.
I then set 0 and 1 to ON with 2 set to OFF then re-booted
Exactly the same result.
I then set 0 and 2 to ON with 1 set to OFF then re-booted
Exactly the same result.
I have yet to take the drives out to fire up separately but they sound OK whil in situe. That will be my next job.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BootReport.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	319238  
Old 03-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

So, you do have 3 SAS drives (ie) Serial Attached SCSI drives, and at least 2 of them are setup in a RAID.
Turn all drives on. To Enter the RAID Bios configuration control panel, at bootup press CTRL+R, when you see it on the screen. This will allow you to find the status of the drives and the RAID Array. You also can troubleshoot the SAS configuration by press F5 at bootup as well
If this is all over your head, you might want to bring in a professional. Of course we will try to walk you thru it if you want to tackle this on your own.

https://public.support.unisys.com/pc...e/chapterg.htm

https://www.dell.com/downloads/globa...0312-Dixit.pdf
Old 03-20-2018, 09:12 AM   #14
Registered Member

Sorry for the delay, I had to go away for a day.

I have turned all drives on and checked via F5 which reports that;
** Hard Drive - DST Short Test **
Test Results: Warning
Msg: Hard Drive - No Drive detected.

Everything else passed.

I would prefer having help to walk through the recovery myself as, being a pensioner, I have limited resources but unlimited time. I have fixed most things on computers and laptops over the years so have some experience but not formerly trained and have never come across the sudden disappearance a drive before. I am using another PC to send this message as the affected DELL has not properly booted for the last 4 or 5 attempts. It hangs at 'choose F1, F2 or F5' to continue
Old 03-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Hard Drive - No Drive detected.
Quote:
To Enter the RAID Bios configuration control panel, at bootup press CTRL+R, when you see it on the screen.
The F5 error message says there is no HDD meaning they have failed.
Did you boot into the RAID configuration control panel? This is the only other thing to do to troubleshoot the drives.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #16
Registered Member

Hi,
According to what I found here when searching for 'how to boot into RAID configuratio control panel'

How to Configure Raid on a Dell Desktop PC | Dell UK

it would appear that RAID is not an available option. See screenshot attached to compare with the article at link above.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LookinfForRAID.jpg
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	319268  
Old 03-21-2018, 12:23 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

This is listed in the Bios as SAS controller. Make sure the ports the drives are plugged into are all Enabled.
If they are all Enabled, then the drives may have failed, or the SAS controller has failed.
Then go to Boot Sequence and make sure the Windows HDD is the First Boot Device. Press ESC and Save and Exit.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:24 AM   #18
Registered Member

The SAS Controller is enabled (ON)

SATA-0 is ON
Controller = Serial ATA
Drive ID: HL-DT-ST DVD+/-RW GH30N

SATA-1 is ON
Controller = Serial ATA
Drive ID: Unknown

SATA-2 is ON
Controller = Serial ATA
Drive ID: Unknown

SATA Operation is set to default AGC1
rather than ATA. I don't know if this is significant.

Boot sequence:
1. #0500 ID00 LUNO ATA ST31000
2. USB Device (not present)
3. Onboard or USB Floppy Drive
4. Onboard SATA Hard Drive (not present)
5. Add-in Hard Drive (not present)
6. Onboard Network Controller (not present)
7. Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive
8. #0500 ID02 LUNO ATA ST31000

As you can see, two drives (at 1. and 8.) have the same
#Numbers and STNumbers. Is this correct?

NB. The PC will not fully boot. Hangs at the Windows splash screen.

I have just launched Windows Set-up Repair because it is the first time I've seen it offered. Will report later if it now boots fully when it has finished.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The SATA controllers are only recogizing your DVD drive Port SATA 0
the other Two HDD's on ports SATA-1 and SATA-2 are not being recognized and show up as Unknown.
The model # of your HDD's starts with ST which is a Seagate drive. You have the same model# Seagate Drive ST31000 but they have different ID's ID00 and ID02, showing two different drives. The ID00 ST31000 HDD is set as the First Boot Device and it should boot Windows once the Bios recognizes the HDD
The Third Drive you have does not have it's SATA controller Enabled and so it will not show up.
To further troubleshoot your HDD"s You can remove the HDD's from the computer and attach them to a USB-SATA Adapter, Dock or Enclosure with a power adapter. Once the drive is powered on, you can feel or hear if it is spinning up, if not, it has failed.
If it spins up, you can plug in the USB cable into a working computer to see if you can access the data.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #20
Registered Member

Hi,

I removed all drives to check and found that the Drive with programs on is OK and spins up, data available.
The second (data) drive that had all my work folders, spins up with a Ker-lick sound, 11 times and winds down. It does about three times then stops
The third drive spins up beautifully but is clean and not formatted.

I only installed the first drive for now, changed the AHC1 to ATA (since there is now only one drive) and managed to boot up fully and can run programs.

What I would like to do is transfer the data from the failed drive (if possible) to the good drive then re-install that drive as my work drive.

Apparently there have been great numbers of these specific drives fail, see:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...drives-failing and:
https://www.techpowerup.com/82331/se...11-hard-drives

My drives are Barracuda 7200.11 Model: ST31000340AS but all the links for firmware updates now lead to a 404.

There are youtube videos (
) that show a fix for these 'locked up' drives but I don't know whether I would risk losing all my data. Does anyone here have any knowledge of trying these fixes?
Closed Thread