Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard Drive Might Fail! (Smart Event)?

This is a discussion on Hard Drive Might Fail! (Smart Event)? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, I just moved my comp (Dell XPS 9000) to a new apartment. The first time I set it

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I just moved my comp (Dell XPS 9000) to a new apartment. The first time I set it up, I got a message saying "SMART EVENT has occured. Your hard drive might fail" or something like that.

From what I've read that means my hard drive is going to die on me soon probably, but I wanted to ask here before I went out and made changes. I definitely would appreciate any advice.

1) A couple months ago I upgraded my power supply and vid card to a 5850. Everything seemed to be working fine. Any chance there's a heat problem? I downloaded SpeedFan today and the temps have maxed out at 50C so far.

2) I have two harddrives, but they're integrated in the same array (ie 2 500GB RAID Drives or something). Can I just replace the one that is broken? How is data shared between the two?

3) Is there a program that can give me more detailed analysis of the situation with the problemetic hard drive? Maybe it's not actually going to fail...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Two drives in an array can be set up two ways. As RAID1, where the data on one drive is mirrored to the other. If you have 2 500GB drives in Raid 1, in the OS ( my computer c ) it will appear as one 500 GB drive. The other way is Raid 0 where data is written in striped blocks ( often 128 kB ) to one drive then the other. The result is all files are split with part on onne drive and part on the other. This will appear in the OS as one logical drive as large as the two drives combined ( ie 2- 500 GB drives = 1 1000GB drive)In RAID1, you can replace just the failed drive with no data loss, in raid0 all data will be lost. You would first have to backup your data onto a large enough drive ( example 1TB ) and then restore it after rebuilding the array. Smart usually doesn't miss too much, unless it is one of the minor parameters out of synch. SMART is actually handled by the drive itself at the physical level and the data is stored on the drive in the Service Area. When the parameters get too many errors, then you will get the warning. You can download hddscan fro www.hddscan.com and see the individual smart parameters.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Raptor. Mine must be set up in Array 0 because they definitely share data.

I've already backed up the essentials so I guess now I just need to figure out when and how I should replace the problem HD.

I assume I'll have to purchase the same brand and model of HD so that it'll still work with the remaining HD that isn't messed up right?

Also, I know there are many reasons an HD could fail like this, but do you have any impression about my temperature concerns? I bought a new vid card and power supply a couple months ago and now this is happening. The comp is less than a year old. If I have to replace the HD, I hope I'm not just going to put a new one in there to fail again because of heat.

My latest comp temps after running a bunch of temp maxed out at 58C or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

All you would need are the same capacity and speed. Brand/model can be different heat can be a definite issue, there are several utilities out there to check temp, and one of the SMART values is HD chasis temp. What are the make and model of the drives.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks Again.

Not sure about the make and model of the drives.

Under Device Manager, I only see Array0. When I click on it, for manufacturer it just says "(Standard disk drives)." My invoice from Dell didn't specify the make and model of the drives either...
Old 07-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

You may have to look at the label on the drives to be certain..
Closed Thread