Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard-drive letter keeps disappearing

This is a discussion on Hard-drive letter keeps disappearing within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently removed a 120GB Maxtor H/D that I was using for music storage from my old PC, a HP

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 05:59 PM   #1

I recently removed a 120GB Maxtor H/D that I was using for music storage from my old PC, a HP Kayak and intalled it in a new PC, a Sony VIAO. It's set for cable select, and has no system or app's, only data. The VIAO is running Windows XP Home with SP2. Here's the problem. When the PC is first started, all drives (c:, d:, m: (the Maxtor)) show correctly in Explorer and Disk Managment. But then, some time later (I haven't determined a time, or if I'm doing something) the m: drive disappears. I then have to reboot and it's back, only to disappear again later. I have the Power options set to Never turn off hard drives. Any ideas? I'll also post this in XP. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2004, 03:49 AM   #2
mark3567

Hi,

Some drives don't work well with cable select. Try the master or slave setting (you must have a master to have a slave) whichever you have it listed as. Don't forget if it is set to master, then make sure it is on the END of the cable and if SLAVE, make sure it is in the middle of the cable.

Old 10-15-2004, 06:46 AM   #3

Thanks, I'll try that but I'm pretty sure that's not the answer. The H/D worked fine in the old PC as a slave, set to cable select, and it is in the middle of the cable on the new PC. The problem is it appears on startup and works fine, but then just disappears some time later. It always reappears after a reboot.
Closed Thread