Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard Drive - "is not accessible the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Networks 
#1 ·
Hard Drive - "is not accessible the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

When I went to my laptop today everything was fine, however only an hour later it would not start up, not even in safe mode saying that windows failed to start.

I tried it in another laptop which was working fine by connecting it via USB and it showed up in my computer. However when clicked up on it said "is not accessible the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable"

I'm really worried I've lost data..Is there anything I can do?

#2 ·
Re: Hard Drive - "is not accessible the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

It sounds like your hard drive has failed based on your post. If you choose the DIY recovery route you may make any chance of recovery by a pro impossible. If its a risk you are willing to take then we can provide some steps but from the sound of things I don't think we will get very far. The recommended approach is below most people don't want to do step one which is critical

1. Make a bit copy or clone of the bad drive to another drive thus preserving the bad drive just in case you make some mistake and make it worse. Sometimes this process fails and your only choice is to send to a pro for recovery.

5 Free Apps to Clone Your Hard Drive

2. From the clone copy you run diagnostic tools on it to attempt to recover the data. Like R-Studio, Recuva Testdisk put the original away in a safe place

3. Data recovered ok hopefully and replace bad drive re-load OS and restore recovered data

You normally need a desktop to be able to connect both the bad drive and a new drive to image the bad drive to to have the copy to work off of.

Keep us updated on your progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.