Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard drive is 100% used and inacessible.

This is a discussion on Hard drive is 100% used and inacessible. within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was downloading files to my secondary drive and I didn't check it. So the files ended up taking over

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By bassfisher6522
  • 1 Post By xrobwx71
  • 1 Post By britechguy
  • 1 Post By Stancestans

Old 05-26-2020, 10:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

I was downloading files to my secondary drive and I didn't check it. So the files ended up taking over what was left of the space on the drive. Now the drive is being read by windows as raw and I can't access it. Anyone know a way to access a raw drive to delete enough space or anything? I don't ant to lose file on the drive.
jxsilicon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 12:48 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

You could try a linux distro on a USB and use it as LIVE....bootable off the USB. Then you should be able to access the the HDD. I keep one handy just for suck things.
jxsilicon9 likes this.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
I keep one handy just for suck things.
Yep. Microsoft is all about "suck"- lol.

;)

PS: OP needs to get Linux Mint Mate on that USB, save off his data to an external drive, and INSTALL MINT.

Windows has gone so downhill that it's a total farce now....
Geekomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2020, 06:01 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekomatic View Post
;)

This is absolutely not true.
britechguy likes this.
xrobwx71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:54 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team

My System

What we have here sounds a lot more like a drive failure than anything else.

A filled drive does not "go raw" for any reason other than failure.

You may be able to use a live Linux to get access or you may have to resort to a utility such as Test Disk.
bassfisher6522 likes this.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:22 PM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
That's your personal opinion to which you're entitled and should be regarded and presented as such. It is neither expert advice nor factual information. This is an advisory to the OP @jxsilicon9 and every other uninformed follower of this thread.
bassfisher6522 likes this.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
You could try a linux distro on a USB and use it as LIVE....bootable off the USB. Then you should be able to access the the HDD. I keep one handy just for suck things.
Testdisk in Linux along with easeus data recovery got all my files back.I forgot all about linux.Weird thing happened. I was able to access the files using search directly but not when I tried to go through this pc. So all my files were right there but I just couldn't access them if I tried to go directly through the HDD. Whats good HDD scanning software. I used chkdisk and that came back clean and HDD sentinel running 24/7.So I don't know what happened with the partition.It seems to be running just right after formatting.But I want to make sure my HDD isn't corrupted.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:28 AM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

You can run an error scan using HD Tune here https://www.hdtune.com/index.html. You can use the free version or the pro version which is a 15-day free trial. You can also use Seagate's SeaTools here https://www.seagate.com/em/en/suppor...oads/seatools/
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
That's your personal opinion to which you're entitled and should be regarded and presented as such. It is neither expert advice nor factual information. This is an advisory to the OP @jxsilicon9 and every other uninformed follower of this thread.
You're right. Let's go to the source and web, then?

https://www.google.com/search?q=micr...ut+new+updates
Old 06-02-2020, 08:41 AM   #10
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
You're right. Let's go to the source and web, then?

https://www.google.com/search?q=micr...ut+new+updates
So, there are a lot of other poorly informed individuals who wish to trash Windows 10. They've been around trashing each and every version of Windows since Version 3.1.

It is inane to believe, with the untold millions of machines that are running Windows 10 that were built well before its advent and that were never designed and tested for running it, that there will not be constant problems at each and every Feature Update. The really great thing is that with system health telemetry not only can the speed of a rollout be reduced when indicated, but blocks are put on specific hardware configurations that have shown themselves as problematic until fixes can be made. Stuff no longer gets unleashed on all the world, virtually all at once, and then the wait begins for Microsoft call centers to get enough phone calls to indicate something is wrong, very wrong, as a catastrophe unfolds.

"It's on the internet, so it must be true."
Old 06-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
So, there are a lot of other poorly informed individuals who wish to trash Windows 10. They've been around trashing each and every version of Windows since Version 3.1.
Microsoft is warning it's own users. Hardly, "poorly informed".

PS: I'm an IT support person for Windows for over 20 years now. Still in biz for residential clients, and I speak about what I see every.single.day. Win 7=fine. Win 8= bad. Win 8.1= fine. Win 10= bad, and breaking network, bluetooth, or deleting personal folders which can NOT be retrieved seemingly each major roll-out. The last time it was widely reported that MS's own testers TOLD them about the folder deletions and they rolled it out anyway. Do you even read the news??? I mean, as NOT a MS fanboy?

If YOU have managed to NOT be knocked out of service by MS updates, you can count yourself quite lucky. I get to traverse the MS update landmine each week and it's bad. This site is here BECAUSE of the mess MS has made. Good grief.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #12
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Microsoft is warning it's own users. Hardly, "poorly informed".

If YOU have managed to NOT be knocked out of service by MS updates, you can count yourself quite lucky. I get to traverse the MS update landmine each week and it's bad. This site is here BECAUSE of the mess MS has made. Good grief.
I've been in the computer business since 1985, and have a one-man tech support business since 2008 for home and small users.

The number of Windows related calls I get has dropped, drastically, since Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 have come out.

You don't seem to get that the warnings Microsoft routinely issues apply to a very, very small proportion of machines in the embedded user base. And just as often as not the issues only appear when certain idiosyncratic configurations are involved.

So, yes, I believe blowing things out of all proportion, and not taking the above into account, is definitely in the ill-informed category.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #13
Registered Member

So are these readings good or bad for HDD?

Screenshots attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02-June-2020_11-04.png
Views:	8
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	325908   Click image for larger version

Name:	02-June-2020_11-05.png
Views:	9
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	325910  
Old 06-02-2020, 09:10 AM   #14
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
You don't seem to get that the warnings Microsoft routinely issues apply to a very, very small proportion of machines in the embedded user base. And just as often as not the issues only appear when certain idiosyncratic configurations are involved.

So, yes, I believe blowing things out of all proportion, and not taking the above into account, is definitely in the ill-informed category.
Except it's NOT a small proportion nor is it in "idiosyncratic configurations", though would make a lot of Scrabble points- lol.

MS, itself, keeps warning it's own users. I will compare it to the pensioners who I swap to Linux Mint. I have rare calls back and then only to get an opinion on a good program to do X.

I do have a Windows laptop with 10, with all updates turned off and most of their spyware disabled. It boots to desktop in 5 seconds (true). It's amazing how it can run if you do that.

Meanwhile, my Linux Mint is at 17.1 (way out of date now, and I'm about to update that + my drives), and I've literally not had an issue in years.

We'll agree to disagree. I do expect that my opinion carries the same weight as does yours. To show up to sh*t on other opinions as "lesser-than" because they don't match yours is very Trump, but does a disservice to people who might not agree according to their experiences.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:01 AM   #15
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxsilicon9 View Post
So are these readings good or bad for HDD?
In my 30+ years of computer using, I've never seen anything like this before. To your screenshots: Your drive is not running hot, there are no reallocated sectors, and it doesn't have a great many hours on it.

Going raw, as you say, tells me the file table information has been corrupted or is missing for whatever OS you are using. Your screenshots seem to indicate a Windows based system. In one shot, there is a reference to USB 3, so I take it that this is an external drive.

If I were faced with this situation, I would do a low-level wipe with something like Active Killdisk. This would remove everything including the partition information. The only thing unaltered would be the SMART data, like what your screenshots show. A simple format might work just as well, as it rewrites the drive information and the file table. If this happens again then you might want to look at replacing the drive.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote