Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard Drive inaccessible and says Raw format

This is a discussion on Hard Drive inaccessible and says Raw format within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I had a usb drive with linux on it and it got removed during an accidental installation. My laptop's

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 12:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
I had a usb drive with linux on it and it got removed during an accidental installation. My laptop's hard drive along with the operating system and all data has become inaccessible and when i open disk manager it says it's in raw format. I'm currently trying the Ease US data recovery and Testdisk programs to see if anything is salvageable but i'd really like to be able to save the whole drive and bring it back to normal. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2018, 02:01 AM   #2
Registered Member

I realised I didn't explain a whole lot well above. The hard drive with the issue is the main hard drive with the original Windows OS on it and the Linux install was accidental. Is there a way to bring the drive back to a functioning Windows OS drive and not lose all of my other files on the same drive so that it can be like before the accidental Linux install? All the data is still on the drive as EaseUS has found it all. Thanks
Old 03-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Using EaseUs or any other data recovery software, recover your personal files and restore them to an external HDD.
Linux is a different file system then Windows and uses different partitioning scheme and formatting, so to restore to Windows, you would have to wipe the drive and do a Clean Install of Windows, which would include creating new partitions and Formatting them.
Once Windows is installed, you then can restore your files and reinstall any programs.
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
Registered Member

Would accessing the hard drive in Linux then getting the data off it there work?
Old 03-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If Easeus or Minitool Data Recovery don't see the drive and your files, then you can boot off of your Linux Live CD and backup your files to an external HDD.
Once safely backed up, you then would boot off of a Windows installer. Choose your Language, then Custom install. Delete All partitions go Next. Windows will automatically create partitions, and format them during the Windows install.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for helping me out really appreciate it. I've been using linuxlive USB creator and following this guide https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/linux-...x-flash-drive/
However whenever I go to boot options and select the USB and if I change my boot order to USB first, it still takes me straight to the bios. Am I doing the right thing?
Old 03-11-2018, 03:06 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

How did you install Linux to your laptop if you weren't able to boot the USB Flash drive?
I'm not sure which Distro of Linux you are using, you might want to try Ubuntu. If you are having problems with the USB Burning program, you might want to try Rufus, in my signature.
What is the make and model# of your laptop?
Once you have your Live USB put the Flash drive in and restart the laptop. Then press the key to enter Setup (Bios) usually this is F2 but if it is an HP it is F10. Once in the Bios, go the Security tab, If you see Secure Boot, disable it, or change it to Setup Mode. Then go to the Boot tab, If you see UEFI Bios Add or Change it to Legacy Bios. Save and Exit. After restart, boot back into the Bios. Go back to the Boot tab and you should see your USB Flash drive as a Legacy Boot device, Move this to First Boot Device. Save and Exit. It should boot from the USB. Then, TRY Linux, don't install it.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:26 AM   #8
Registered Member

Alright so I've got it to boot. I'm using Linux Mint cinnamon and my laptop is an MSI GL62 6QE. Im on the desktop screen now I've gone to computer on the desktop and my hard drive is there but it says "unable to mount location" so I can't open it
Old 03-11-2018, 03:58 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Then you will need to use Data Recovery software like those mentioned in Post #5
Old 03-11-2018, 04:51 AM   #10
Registered Member

Would you recommend using test disk because from what I've read it seems as though it will get my data back and It might be able to save the drive and not lose everything not 100% sure though. EaseUS only allows 500mbs worth of files.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Data Recovery is a 50-50% Chance of success. You may not be able to recover any usable files.
Since Linux didn't see your files, and Easeus is only seeing 500MB's then it doesn't look good. TestDisk may work for you. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack and Minitool Data Recovery
Old 03-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

ISTM that, in order to answer the question of whether the original Windows OS is salvageable without a reinstallation, one would need to know the extent of the Linux install.

To this end I would use DMDE:

https://dmde.com/download.html

I haven't used the DOS or Linux console versions, but if you can get them to run, then show us the Partitions window. That should tell us whether the NTFS file system components are intact.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #13
Registered Member

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T2...moOgZjbckWDNLi
There is screen shot haven't done full scan yet don't really understand how to do it
Old 03-12-2018, 03:24 AM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The 1TB drive is selected, now hit the Full Scan button. Whatever it finds, save to another drive.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:58 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

The Indicators column (Ind.) is telling us that the Boot volume has a valid partition entry (E), a valid boot sector (B), and a valid boot sector copy (C). However, the Microsoft Reserved and Basic Data partitions have no boot sectors, suggesting that the Linux installation has zeroed them.

If you select the Basic Data partition and Open Volume, do you see your file/folder structure? Is there a Root? If so, what do you see when you expand it?

If your data are not visible, then select a Full Scan. Uncheck all boxes except NTFS. It shouldn't take long to find your file system, if it exists. You can Stop the scan and Open Volume after a minute or so.

You can examine the boot sectors (Editor -> Goto Offset) by viewing them in Mode -> Hex/Text. The sectors are 2048, 1024000, and 1286144. If you find that the boot sectors are zero filled, then Page Down through the next few sectors to see whether anything else has been zeroed by Linux. If the damage is restricted to the boot sectors, then you may be able to recover them with Write Boot Sectors. However, before you modify your drive, it would be advisable to recover your data to another drive.

You may need to select Edit -> Edit Mode and Drive -> Apply Changes, then reboot so that Windows will re-examine your file system.
Closed Thread