Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard drive help

This is a discussion on Hard drive help within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So i have a 1tb hard drive external and i wanted to boot linux of it to i made a

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

So i have a 1tb hard drive external and i wanted to boot linux of it to i made a 20gb partion and then went to put linux on it and it dident work for some so then for reason i went and formated the partition and made it fat32 and now all the shows up is local disk and its telling me to format but i have 500gb worth of data on the drive mostly movies and in disk management it says there is 928 gb of unallocated space 3.02gb of something and 79mb raw i also have assignments on the hard drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

From what I can gather it sounds like you formatted the entire drive, not your partition.

928GB of unallocated space cannot be read and your personal data will be stored there. If it's still unallocated then there is a good chance it has not been wiped or written over. You can try a program like this to help recover it:

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Things to note for the future is that you really should have backups of your personal data. Also, you should never install a operating system, other than your main one, on your personal storage drive.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

If Recuva doesn't work for you, you can try the free TestDisk program. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External HD with irreplaceable urgent data shows files/folders but all are now empty
First of all, I have a desktop PC running Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit. Second of all, I apologize for the length of this post but I wanted to include all relevant information and history of the drive in case some piece of that info happened to be key in solving this issue. Now for...
Urgent Recovery Hard Drive Support 6 08-07-2014 12:54 PM
Strange Hard Drive problem that's detrimental to system performance
I know this is really long, but it's the best way to give everyone a good understanding of the problem. Tech geeks like me should enjoy this :wink: . Please help me! If you don't feel like reading, then just look at the attached images, or just skim through it. The readings are way too slow... I...
Maht33n Hard Drive Support 4 08-20-2011 01:17 AM
Dell Latitude D620 - read failure on internal hard drive
I am a computer tech and I have a client that has a Dell Latitude D620 running XP Professional. Problem is that when you turn it on it gets to a black screen that says "read failure on internal hard drive". Obviously from the message it seems like a bad hard drive. I have ran the 1st part...
tcsllc Laptop Support 7 01-17-2011 01:19 PM
How to copy your operating system from one drive to another.
Please do not post in this thread. I am rewriting an article. thanks. How to copy your operating system from one hard drive to another Published by JohnthePilot 11-28-2006 How to copy your operating system from one hard drive to another ________________________________________ How to...
JohnthePilot Dead-Sea Scrolls 2 03-05-2007 11:47 PM
XXCLONE the easy world of boot drive cloning
Welcome to the kindergarten easy world of boot drive cloning. :wave: This project will demonstrate how to make an exact bootable clone (copy) of your existing hard drive. After the cloning process is complete, you may select which ever drive you want to boot from in the future. You shall...
linderman Hard Drive Support 0 12-26-2006 04:59 PM