Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard Drive Failure being fixed or is it going to die?

This is a discussion on Hard Drive Failure being fixed or is it going to die? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello guys, today i decided to run a health test on my 2 month old laptop. The program i used

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 04:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello guys, today i decided to run a health test on my 2 month old laptop. The program i used is Crystal Disk Info. So when i opened the app the first thing i saw was Drive Health being at Caution level. I saw the problems and they were the following -->
05 Reallocated Sectors Count [Current 100] [Worst 98] [threshold 36]
C5 Current Pending Sector Count [Current 85] [Worst 45] [threshold 0]
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count [Current 85] [Worst 45] threshold 0]

and if i hover my mouse on the caution label under the health status i see the three errors but with different numbers these are
05 Reallocated Sectors Count: 13
C5 Current Pending Sector Count: 904
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count: 904.

After 1 day i decided to run the app again and it came up with different results. Take a look at the following
05 Reallocated Sectors Count [Current 100] [Worst 98] [threshold 36]
C5 Current Pending Sector Count [Current 97] [Worst 45] [threshold 0]
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count [Current 97] [Worst 45] threshold 0]

and if i hover my mouse on the caution label again it came up with completely different results
05 Reallocated Sectors Count: 24
C5 Current Pending Sector Count: 256
C6 Uncorrectable Sector Count: 256.

Can somebody please tell me if this is a good thing or a really bad thing and if it is bad thing what can i do without apart from replacing the hard drive, bacause i tried opening my laptop and i almost broke the keyboard and i have to note that i dont have warranty now because i destroyed the warranty stiker (im stupid i know). Thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Did you get this laptop New or Used? A brand new 2 month old laptop should never have any Hard Drive issues. I would send it back to the factory under warranty and have them replace the drive.
Having Bad Sectors is never a good thing. This drive may last a while, but it is on the road to failure. It may last a week, a month or 6 months but it is going to fail sooner then later. Be sure to backup any files you want to keep to an external HDD ASAP.
If, for some reason, you can't get the factory to replace the drive for free, then you should replace it yourself.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply dude I appreciate it. Yes my laptop is brand new but can you please specify if the situation is getting worse than the first test results. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Bad Sectors are like cancer, when they start happening, they start spreading. Reallocating data from Bad Sectors to Good ones, is just a temporary "Fix" This will make the files usable and the computer stable but Eventually the drive is going to get so many bad sectors it will not be usable. As stated, this could happen in a week, a month or maybe as long as a year.
Since the computer is still under warranty, I would send it back to the factory and have them replace the drive with a brand new one for free.