Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard drive enclosure problems

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  hanskloss 
#1 ·
I got a hard drive enclosure for my old laptop's hard drive so that I can get my stuff off of it. When I plug it in, the power light turns on and the hard drive makes sounds, but I can't find it anywhere on my computer. It isn't in device manager, my computer, or disk management. I've tried using different cords and I tried to plug it into my mac also, which didn't recognize it either. How do I get it to work?

#2 · (Edited)
When it is plugged in , do you see the icon on your bottom right stating that it is installing a driver for the device that you are using?

Do you see a usb cable icon when it is plugged in?

Try a different casing ,

Try a different computer.

Macs wouldn't be able to read ntfs.

Post back results.

#13 ·
Just what kind of ADVICE is THIS???

1. Try or BUY different casing? This is not helpful to tell someone to LOOSE the very device, for which she is looking for HELP!

2. Different Computer??? Are you nuts? Like buying new computer for hundreds of dollars because 40 usd casing doesn't work?

3. Using someone elses computer??? Are you crazy?

4. She doesn't have Mac, it's Windows. What are you smoking?

#6 ·
Stupid question but i got to ask, In the enclosure, did you plug in the DATA cable to the drive?
With the drive plugged in Go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc and right click the diskmgmt icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. In Disk Management do you see your drive there? Does it say that it is Unallocated Space?

#8 ·
Does the enclosure come with an optional power adapter? If so, you would need to use this. Be sure it is the correct one that came with the drive. Be sure you are plugging the power adapter into a Wall Socket directly and not a surge protector or extension cord as this may diminish the power. Plug the USB into the Back USB port of the computer and not the front or through a hub as these ports are weaker. If all else fails, try this drive on a USB Adapter, the Enclosure logic board may be bad.

#9 ·
It doesn't come with a power adapter and there is no place to plug one in. The cord does have two things to plug into the USB ports, though. It does the same thing whether I plug both of them in or just one, the light comes on and the drive makes sounds.
It's probably just no good, I suppose. The hard drive definitely worked before I plugged it into the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.