Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard drive disappeared from WinXP

This is a discussion on Hard drive disappeared from WinXP within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have 2 drives in my pc, my original set up was my OS on the 160g, and my data

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 12:21 AM   #1

I have 2 drives in my pc, my original set up was my OS on the 160g, and my data on the 40g. I was having some issues with a virus that kept trying (and succeeding) to take over my network settings, and while trying to repair that, I noticed in My Computer that my 160g drive suddenly disappeared. I rebooted the pc and it was unable to boot to Windows. Both drives were visible in BIOS. Tried Fdisk, and it could only see the 40g drive - I was getting a flashing error at the bottom saying "unable to access drive 1".

I then installed my OS on the 40g (switching it to master and the 160g to slave), hoping that I'd be able to at least access the larger drive to get some files off there, then format and make it my data drive. However, the 160g is still not found in Windows, and Fdisk now gives me the flashing error "unable to access drive 2" (since I did change around the master/slave order). In Device Manager in Windows, the drive shows up under Disk Drives, but is inaccessible. In My Computer, it's not there at all, same with Disk Management. Both drives are still found in BIOS.

I have tried setting the BIOS back to default settings, using the recovery console thru the WinXP installation CD to do FIXMBR (by the way, when this is loading, down at the bottom of the screen, it did say it was examining the 160g drive as well as the 40g one), disabling and re-enabling the hard drive through Device Manager with no luck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - I had ran out of room on my 40g for data and had over 50g of stuff on the 160g drive - I've accepted the loss of the 40g on the drive that is now my OS (thankfully very little that was irreplacable), but if there was any way I can get back the stuff on the larger one, I'd be a happy girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2006, 07:19 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Hello and Welcome to TSF

Not sure if this will work for ya but try this

Open Regedit, and navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Checked for values named

Lowerfilters
Upperfilters

Deleted them.

Rebooted the system
Old 02-28-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

try a new eide cable

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2006, 02:18 PM   #4

greetings

i recently had a spastic power supply causing similiar problems
bad rail on it
and as dai mentioned, cables can be an overlooked, easy fix

let us know how you made out
Old 03-01-2006, 08:51 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately still no luck. Tried the registry edit, tested the cables and power supply. Tried the drive in another computer, and got the same thing - detectable in BIOS, shows up in device manager under hard drives, but still can't be read/accessed by windows or fdisk.

I'm looking into random disk utility boot up programs now to see if I can possibly find something that can bypass the fact that it seems to have some random unknown file system on it - I've pretty much given up on the data on it (unless I want to bring it into a data recovery shop, but that's just out of my price range) - so that I can just be able to use the drive again.

I'm still open to any suggestions though - thanks again.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

if you can see it in disk management,run the error check on it
obtain a knoppix disc and see if you can access it from that

Closed Thread