Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

hard drive crash and recovery

This is a discussion on hard drive crash and recovery within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a SATA hard drive that crashed with XP os on my HP media center comp. I cleaned a

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 PM   #1

I have a SATA hard drive that crashed with XP os on my HP media center comp.

I cleaned a lot up, was able to get into my desktop but then foolishly did a system recovery and now I am getting the message something like "can't verify registry, system needs to shut down".

Am I hosed with trying to get in and recover some files, or do I just need to try to re-install os disks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Hi,

When you say the 'hard drive crashed' do you mean to say that the hard drive itself stopped working momentarily, or do you mean that the Windows XP installation on the hard drive crashed meaning you had to use the recovery disc? Also how did it crash - was this out of the blue, or did you do something just before it crashed? You could try the OS recovery disc, but there is a chance that your data could get wiped out if you choose to do a 'fresh' (or 'clean') installation (if that option is available).

An alternative would be to try recovering your files in one of the following ways:

- Take the hard drive out, put it inside another PC (if available) as a data drive, then either manually pull your data from it onto another drive or use software to start an automated backup of some sort.
- Download a Linux live CD (you can try Ubuntu, probably easier to use), burn it onto disc if you know how, boot into it, connect an external drive, then try the above steps for pulling the files from the internal drive (if you know your way around Linux, that is).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jon.
Closed Thread