Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard Drive Challenging problem-Need assistance!

938 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Satos 
#1 ·
Hello guys,I would like to describe my situation briefly. I have an Acer aspire 5920g laptop. Before some days I experienced the black screen of death. I tried to install the os from a DVD backup/acer restore point. The restoration failed. I tried to reformat the disk via DOS. I bought a new internal disk and I installed vista and linux mint.
I also bought an external connector to connect my previous faulty internal disk to a usb in order to save my D: partition that has data. The disk is not able to initialize (cyclic redundancy check). Moreover is not readable its capacity and format from win disk management. From data recovery programs (the ones that can recognize it) I get totally wrong capacity. The hard drive is WD 250GB and the program recognize it as 2TB!!
I cannot do anything on this drive (format etc).
My questions:
I've read somewhere that if the hard disk shows wrong capacity I am not going to be able to recover data.Is it true?
Is it better to use linux to recover data somehow?
In c: was the os and d: the data. I can't see any partitions or volumes at dos (and in third party programs).The restoration is supposed to format the c: volume,where is d:?
I don't care about the drive, I need some of the info only.The easeus data recovery needs some hundreds of hours to scan the disk and I am not even sure if I am going to get a result.
Any suggestion is welcomed!

See less See more
#2 ·
The drive is failed at this point only pro recovery will have the tools knowledge to solve the problem for your drive. no DIY processes are going to work based on your reported symptoms. Continuing to power it on and scan it can only degrade any possibility of recovery so make the choice if data is important stop and send it off for a quote or risk not being able to ever recover any data.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response!
I just realized that I have a mechanical problem with the hard disk. The platter is not spinning (the heads aren't on it). When I power it it spins a bit and then stops.The arm is not moving at all. Don't start telling how stupid I am :p I don;t have money to spend for recovery (especially of this kind) so I am trying to test and learn. Any ideas? Except to freeze the drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.