Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

hard drive

This is a discussion on hard drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i bought a new blank 160gb hard drive for my dell inspiron 6000 laptop. I want to make a copy

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:09 AM   #1

i bought a new blank 160gb hard drive for my dell inspiron 6000 laptop. I want to make a copy of all my files, drivers, programs etc of my old 40gb hard drive and transfer them onto my new blank 160gb hard drive. How do i do that?
I am completely computer ileterate and i need step by step simple instructions. I would be grateful for some help.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

You'd have to convert that new hard drive into an external and copy everything off the old hard drive onto the new one. As long as its going into the same laptop, drivers won't be a problem. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone?
Old 10-03-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Well, you're partially correct Baldie559. gingerale will need to make that old hard drive into an external hard drive, and she can copy over the files and documents, but as for the programs and drivers, they can NOT just be copied over. They must be "installed"...don't forget about all of those registry entries.

You can get a cheap External Enclosure Free after rebate + $6 S/H here (select IDE):

https://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...ight=enclosure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I'm also assuming an clean install of windows will be needed as well as you can't really copy windows over to another hard drive.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

That is correct.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #6

https://www.techsupportforum.com/cont...ticles/47.html
Old 10-04-2007, 03:24 AM   #7

thank you for your message. I learned one thing namely that i cannot copy my drivers and programs onto DVD and transfer them onto a blank hard drive. I don't even know where my hard drive is in my laptop. plus i don't have a case to transform my old hard drive into an external one. and then afterwards how do i proceed?
suppose i have my new blank hard drive installed in my laptop and my old external hard drive well outside how do i link the two drives to transfer everything from my old hard drive onto new blank hard drive.
another thing i want to know is as you mentioned that drivers and programs cannot be copied how on earth am i going to transfer them onto my new blank hard drive. the most important driver for me is the one which configures the internet. without it i cannot go into the web to search for drivers.

many thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 03:44 AM   #8
Manager, TSF Articles

OS: Windows 10 Professional, Windows 10 build 14361, Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

My System

Hi gingerale and welcome to TSF.
As has been said, you need to get a USB enclosure for your new drive. You can then use XXClone following the link that eneles gave to make a clone of your existing drive. If you then swap them you will find your new drive will have all your programs AND the operating system. I suggest you read the article carefully first then if you have any questions, fire away.

Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Old 10-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
Manager, TSF Articles

OS: Windows 10 Professional, Windows 10 build 14361, Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1

My System

Quote:
hello john

thank you for your message. I read the article from eneles but it is far too complicated. i have a dell inspiron 6000 laptop (window xp home edition) and a 40gb hard drive which is too small now. I need to buy a 160 gb or more hard drive and transfer everything onto the new blank 160gb hard drive.

1st question: how do i do the transfer? do i leave my old hard drive in my laptop and transfer with a usb to the new blank hard drive all the op system?
Yes, but you can only transfer with a program like XXClone. Don't be put off. As I say at the beginning of the article, it looks complicated, but it's not. You just need to read it carefully and follow the steps. I knew nothing about XXClone when I wrote that article; I simply recorded the steps I took.

Quote:
2nd question: how will i be able to configure my wireless intel icons to pick up the internet? is part of the os or a independent wireless card?
If you clone your drive everything should be as it was.

Quote:
3rd question: what kind of blank hard drive will be compatible with my inspiron 6000 laptop namely sata, ata etc
I'll leave that to eneles.

Quote:
I would be grateful if you could answer my questions in a simple way cos i am totally computerly iliterate.
thanks in advance
gingerale
Just take it a step at a time and don't be afraid to ask if you're not sure.
Regards,
John.

Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Old 10-04-2007, 11:27 AM   #10

You need an IDE (= ATA) drive - something like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136114

Dell's instructions for replacing the drive: https://support.euro.dell.com/support....htm#wp1130375
Closed Thread