Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Hard Disk Controller Boards

This is a discussion on Hard Disk Controller Boards within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello All, I have been given the task of destroying several Hard Drives, I have turned them into shiny coasters

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #1
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

Hello All,
I have been given the task of destroying several Hard Drives, I have turned them into shiny coasters for the office.
I also now have a number of controller boards, and from some searching online I have seen that these sell from around 15 to 40 depending on what the board is off.
Is this an untapped market? does it actually work (swapping the boards)?

regards
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The problem with swapping the controller boards of a HDD is you not only need to match the exact serial number of the board to the HDD, but you also have to match the Firmware on the board to the drive. Most people that sell boards on the net also offer service to transfer the firmware to the drive with the failed board from the new board.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

A word of warning on hard disk recovery by swapping logic boards
Quote:
A logic board swap can work. I've done it before on numerous disks. You need to have an identical drive to act as a donor drive though, because a logic board that just looks right won't work. It has to be exact, down to the model and usually revision.

BUT ...

It doesn't always work, and increasingly it's getting harder and harder to pull the trick off because drive makers are storing specific drive parameters relating to the specific drive on the firmware of the logic board. This makes it hard, if not impossible to find a compatible logic board. To make matters worse, because the firmware contains drive disk parameters, you can damage the dead disk worse, making recover even more difficult (and expensive).

So, bottom line is that it might work, but there's a good chance that it might not too ... as a last ditch, final throw of the dice, no looking back, I might try it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2018, 02:59 AM   #4
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

probably best to bin them then, seems such a shame though
Old 02-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You can sell them "As Is" and tell customers they are buying with no guarantee that it will work. And give them the full disclosure that they need to match the Firmware that you do not provide.
You probably won't sell any but you never know.