Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Guidance required for upgrading from HDD to SSD

This is a discussion on Guidance required for upgrading from HDD to SSD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I am trying to upgrade my laptop from HDD to SSD and adding 4gb more ram to make it

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 04:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64. Windows 10 Pro x64 (Experimental)

My System

Hi
I am trying to upgrade my laptop from HDD to SSD and adding 4gb more ram to make it total of 8gb but there are some concerns for which i need your help. I will be putting this hard drive into optical bay using a caddy and install an SSD in place of HDD. My HDD is formatted as MBR (checked it in diskpart) and UEFI is turned OFF in BIOS. I am using "legacy" boot option. My laptop is an i3 4010U (3mb cache) and 4gb ram.
I read somewhere on internet that using GPT will enhance the performance. I wanted to know:
1. If i format SSD with GPT and keep HDD on MBR, will it work fine? (HDD has data which can't be moved).
2. Do i need to turn on UEFI in BIOS or legacy boot will be able to handle the GPT SSD?
3. Upgrading to SSD and 8gb ram, will it be enough for a way better performance or the 3mb processor cache will become bottle neck while using heavy applications such as photoshop, illustrator, premier pro.
Please help me for this as i am not much of tech savvy person regarding these things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 05:37 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Although your CPU can take 16gb of memory, dual core is really outmoded when multi-tasking. I don't know your financial situation, but would really look at a new unit.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The best way to upgrade an old laptop like yours, is to upgrade the RAM and install an SSD.
But as stated, to run the latest versions of Adobe suite smoothly, you are going to need a new computer. It's better to put your money towards that then upgrading an old laptop.
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 02:54 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaisagha View Post
(HDD has data which can't be moved).

All data CAN be moved, though I suppose there may be some serial number issues in some cases.

If you want a newer machine and want to stay with 7 for some reason, look into off-lease or reconditioned machines. You can usually find business class machines with better specs for just a couple of hundred dollars (US). Many have a second internal HDD bay so you don't have to use an optical bay for your existing drive.

Bear in mind though that 7 is soon to be dropped by M$ as far as support.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:50 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaisagha View Post
Hi
1. If i format SSD with GPT and keep HDD on MBR, will it work fine? (HDD has data which can't be moved).
Yes, there should be no issues, you can also convert MBR to GPT as well, with no data loss (if done as per MS instructions, I've done it on a few bootable drives as well without issues)
Quote:
2. Do i need to turn on UEFI in BIOS or legacy boot will be able to handle the GPT SSD?
If you've formatted the SSD to GPT, go with UEFI (else Legacy Boot, there should be a similar option)
Quote:
3. Upgrading to SSD and 8gb ram, will it be enough for a way better performance or the 3mb processor cache will become bottle neck while using heavy applications such as photoshop, illustrator, premier pro.
Please help me for this as i am not much of tech savvy person regarding these things.
You might notice a performance Boost, but as mentioned by others, you will be using resource intense apps, which require better CPU, GFX card and while the SSD and RAM may give you an edge, you might have to consider better hardware, especially if you're updating these apps regularly to newer versions

Old 07-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Thanks a lot for everyone who tried to help me in this thread.

Well, yes I agree the laptop is old and needs to be upgraded rather than investing in this one. It doesn't seem wise to be investing in this. I know this. But the concern is, I am agreeing to invest a little bit of money for upgrading the core hardware for better performance and saving money for a whole new machine with Intel Xeon processor, 16gb ddr4 ram and an onboard dedicated Nvidia 4gb VRAM. This new machine is a workstation, slightly used but I am getting it at around 800 USD.

I read somewhere on Reddit that for using GPT, some older hardware cannot be used as they are not properly compatible. One user mentioned specifically Realtek soundcard chip, which unfortunately I also have on this laptop. So, seeing this, I decided to keep going with MBR instead of GPT.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

Another change which may boost performance on older systems is to move the system's (and some application) temporary files to drives other than the default system drive (not just logical disks on the same drive). You can try it and if you don't like the result you change it back.
The results can vary by system, drives involved, how the drives are connected (e.g. IDE or SATA or USB), which Windows, etc but I've seen clear improvements in some old systems. Do this only after you have your final hardware configuration setup and running. As always, it's a good idea to perform a full backup before making any changes.

Here are some links that provide a bit more info on what I'm talking about and pointers to how to do it:
https://www.sevenforums.com/performa...l?#post2844027
https://www.sevenforums.com/performa...l?#post2844064
Old 07-03-2019, 05:58 AM   #8
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Not sure how Realtek would impact due to a GPT partition table, it's highly unlikely, but with technology it's difficult to rule something out completely.

The above works only if the primary is a HDD and secondary is a SSD, if the primary is SSD and secondary HDD, this can have an adverse performance effect, if both are SSDs, there would be no noticeable difference in performance..

Old 07-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Hi

Sorry that i am posting here again but i need some further help. I bought a Samsung SSD and put the HDD in optical drive via caddy. I did some Google searching for finding out the type of SATA connectors on motherboard and i found a software "speccy" and installed it. It showed some results, for which i am attaching the screenshots along with. My question is:

The SSD was first put in SATA 3 connector (main motherboard option for disk drive) and read/write results were calculated using crystal disk mark. Then same SSD was put in caddy and placed in optical drive bay and then booted from there and ran the crytal disk mark again and the results are attached in screenshots.
Both of the results are almost same although the SATA connectors are different. Why is that?

(If you hover on thumbnails, i have named the snapshots as per the details)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSD SATA 2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	323922   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSD SATA 3.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	323924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samsung SSD.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	323926  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HGST HDD.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	323928  
Old 07-10-2019, 12:05 AM   #10
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

You don't have to be sorry mate, we're happy to help wherever we can

When you say the SATA connectors are different, what are you implying ?

This seems to be SATA2 performance, although someone else can correct me if I'm wrong..

Also, does the motherboard support SATA 3 ?

Old 07-10-2019, 01:02 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

In the future, if you want to post Speccy info, in Speccy, go to File/Publish Snapshot. Copy the link and Paste it in your next post. That will tell us if your motherboard supports SATA III