Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gradual problems with external hard drive - now not recognized on any computer

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Networks 
#1 ·
I bought an external hard drive back in September. It's ADATA Nobility NH01 640GB. I only ever used it occasionally, but when I did it always worked without any problems until about a month or two ago while it was connected to the computer and without anything touching or moving it, error messages would pop up saying that the drive wasn't recognized. Sometimes the error message would come up when I first connected it to computers. When this happened I just disconnected the cable from the drive, blew on the the cable and drive and then when I reconnected the cable everything worked fine. I think the last time it worked without an issue was several weeks ago when my friend used it to transfer some files to her laptop.

Then today I tried it again and the same error from before came up saying that it was not recognized. This was Code 43. I tried what I usually do and it didn't help. I think that the code 43 error came up two or three times, but since then not even the error has popped up.

I don't think that the drive has died or lost power because when I connect it the blue light comes on and it sometimes makes a sound, but I've tried different ports on two PCs and my own MacBook where I can see it in Disk Utility, but I can't access any files off of it. There don't seem to be any errors in Disk Utility and it says that the partition map appears to be okay.

Most of the files on the drive are backed up in other places, but I still really don't want to lose the use of the drive since it is still reasonably new and wasn't cheap.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like the drive failed as we don't know what manufacture drive is inside the case like WD or Seagate I can't say which diagnostic to run on it. I assume its still under the 1 year warranty so RMA a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.