Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

general question

This is a discussion on general question within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I don't know how much people here may know about cars.....but there is a book called a Chilton. The chilton

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

I don't know how much people here may know about cars.....but there is a book called a Chilton. The chilton has everything you need to know to fix or upgrade anything in a specific car. So my question is, is there any book out there like that for a computer? A detailed book that has step by step instructions for doing just about everything you could want to do with a computer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

There are plenty of books on computers but they're usually generalized since hardware and software can vary from system to system. The other issue is that computer technology moves so fast that books may be outdated in 6 months to 1 year.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah I thought that would be the case, are there any that you would recommend? Or do you know a website that sells books of this nature? I'm trying to find one with easy step by step guidance to buy for my mother. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Amazon carries a lot of them as would any large book store. I've never actually used any of these books but you can find reviews on Amazons site. Just look for something for the home user that was created in the last few years.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

It would help if you could tell us what area she is interested in and her current level of expertise. For example: Basic computer use and/or diagnosis, using Windows or other operating systems. There is a vast amount of information between the basic keyboard skills level to Active Directory, and a book written for a person at one level would not be appropriate for one at the other.

If she is "no-tech" type, my best advice would be to teach her about search engines and how to use them. That gives her the tools to find the information she needs when she needs it.

PS: You might try Amazon.com or Chapters.Indigo.ca and browse the computers/technology sections.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
Registered Member

I think the best option would be a book that covered basic computer use/diagnosis, and/or one that had all the ins and outs of windows. She has a basic knowledge, she just likes to make sure before she does anything. Also she hates using search engines for anything at all, so whenever she does question anything my phone rings. I will check out the sites you guys listed. Thank you again for the responses.
Closed Thread