Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fried hard drive?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Jorden20 
#1 ·
okay, i'm running windows 7, well was running windows 7.

i'd been getting a random blue screen like the pc was doing some scan before it broke, so i always switched it off before it did anything, and it's been fine, until i left the pc on and went out it must have done this scan and completely ruined my computer, when i try and re install windows 7 theres nothing for me to attach it to, no drivers, no nothing just keeps telling me i have to restart my pc.

i have no idea what the problem is or if i can get any of my info that was on there. any ideas? and if i were to put a different but used hard drive into that pc would that break as well?

Cheers

#4 ·
How are you trying to reinstall windows 7?

from a disc? Or is your computer trying to repair windows 7?

You say you want to put another hdd in your computer?you can not just put a hdd in your computer that has a o/s installed on it from another computer,,you will have to format it first ,then reinstall windows from a disc ofr a flash drive

#5 ·
@makin, it was some random dark blue screen, since can't get it back cause the pc just turns on with the black screen with white writing, to then tell me to restart using control alt delete, for the process to merely repeat.

@ brobara using a disc, and yeah i have a spare pc (how i'm writing this post) and was wondering if i can use this hard drive in the original pc because it has a better/more updated motherboard and actually has a decent graphics card rather than the intergrated one on this ****** machine. i've got the windows 7 disc, but idk how to format anything really so would need a lot of help on that

@pip22, how can i test it when the pc fails at the first hurdle? idk how to mount a hard drive onto another pc to check it

#6 ·
first you will have to enter the bios to boot from disc,,

To install Windows 7 using the Custom option and formatting the hard disk

To format your hard disk during Windows 7 installation, you'll need to start, or boot, your computer using the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, and then shut down your computer.

Restart your computer.

Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If the Install Windows page doesn't appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms, and then click Next.

On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (advanced).

Click the partition that you want to change, click the formatting option you want to perform, and then follow the instructions.

When you've finished formatting, click Next.

Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account.

#7 ·
okay so i put the cd back in and did the steps and got to drive options, yet it's telling me theres no drivers on the disc, and when i try and look for where i want to install it, no hard drive option comes up what so ever. does that mean the hard drive can't be repaired? like, the pc isn't even recognising the hard drive anymore
seriously don't know what to do now

if that hard drive is unfixable, how do i go about taking the hard drive from a previous pc and formatting it into my newer tower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.