Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Formatting replacement HDD

This is a discussion on Formatting replacement HDD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello I recently had a C:/ drive failure. I have installed the replacement, however on attempting to install Win 7,

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 10:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello
I recently had a C:/ drive failure. I have installed the replacement, however on attempting to install Win 7, computer says drive is not correctly formatted.
Is there a way I can format the drive on board as is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 01:21 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Windows should prompt you to format the drive during the setup process.

While the Setup is running, do you see a phase where it populates your Disk information and provides an option to create partitions ?

Old 05-24-2018, 01:56 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Boot off of the Windows Installer. Choose your Language and then choose Custom Install. On Where to Install Windows, choose Drive Options. A brand new drive should not be initialized and be all Unallocated Space. If not, Delete all partitions so the drive is all Unallocated Space, now go Next. Windows should initialize the drive, Create partitions and Format them during the install, you shouldn't have to do anything.
If for some reason it still gives that message, you may need to Initialize the drive in Diskpart from the Command Prompt. Then continue with the install.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Formatting new 3TB HDD crashes windows
The computer recognizes the new hardware and I can see the drive properly in both BIOS and Disk Management and I'm making sure it's initialized as GPT and not MBR since the drive is >2TB. The problems start when I create a new simple volume to allocate the drive space. When I do that the formatting...
Kvothe Hard Drive Support 17 04-09-2015 11:52 AM
[SOLVED] HDD replacement
Hi Im replacing a HDD 2.5" sata 9.5 AT 5400rpm 120 GB hitachi in a laptop. replacements are fairly expensive especially for the laptop's condition. Does the replacement have to be the exact specs as the above. I know the GB can be different. But can the 9.5mm be exchanged for a 9mm AT. I...
g3neral Hard Drive Support 3 08-27-2013 10:58 AM
[SOLVED] Seagate External HDD Not Accessible
My 1TB external harddrive has approx 750gb of data on it after around a year of use. It was formatted correctly before use (I believe), only had one partition and has never encountered any physical impact. The first problem started a few months ago when I attempted to access certain folders and...
Seething Hard Drive Support 6 05-18-2013 12:35 PM
Formatting a bootcamped HDD First time.
Hello, I'm considering formatting my computer because it seems to have become slow over time and I want a fresh start. Another reason is the windows 7 I was provided with from my school is only 32 bit, it only utilizes 2.1/4GB of my RAM and it irritates me. I'm familiar with formatting and...
TimmyB Mac Support 3 11-23-2011 06:16 PM
Slow startup / hdd missing
So my pc is acting very weird. First of, my hdd keeps dissapearing. My hdd is only used for storage of downloaded files. It is not the boot drive. Sometimes when i download files, the hdd will suddenly disappear. For no reason. It seems like the hdd only disappear when its being used. I dont...
leverpostei Motherboards, Bios & CPU 2 07-02-2011 03:58 AM