Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

FOLDERS TURNING INTO 0 KB FILES !!!!

This is a discussion on FOLDERS TURNING INTO 0 KB FILES !!!! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, My portable hdd folders have turned into files of size 0kb. And the contents of the folers are now

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 05:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
My portable hdd folders have turned into files of size 0kb.
And the contents of the folers are now in a separate folder named "ntfsck.00000000".
Can I get my files back??

*This happened after an interrupted chkdsk operation on the disk.
(the screenshot is also attached along with this query).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s.png
Views:	4282
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	204690   Click image for larger version

Name:	b.png
Views:	2485
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	204698  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Welcome to TSF

Unfortunately, suddenly stopping chkdsk in the middle of trying to do repairs would be like suddenly stopping a surgeon. As you've found out, this often cannot be done without some serious consequences.

Hopefully you have a recent backup or system image that you can restore?
Old 11-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

You can try to recover by doing a Check Disk and not stopping it.
go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type the drive letter of the external (eg) H: and press enter. At the H:\> prompt type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y to Unmount the drive. Check Disk will go through 5 stages and will take a while, please be patient.
If this does not work you can use the free TestDisk program to try and recover your files. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack, you will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check My Fix for GoBerserkMode [abandoned]
GoBerserkMode No internet access (When I go to my services, "DHCP Client" and "TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper" both show "starting"). System seems slow. I ran combofix early and have attached the log in the .zip file as well. I do not have access to an Install Disc unfortunately. Please Help! Thanks for...
DrDOS Resolved Back Me Up Threads 10 12-15-2013 09:35 AM
I just installed a program and now my browser keeps crashing...
I downloaded "Mipony" under the false pretense that it was a safe program. Now Google Chrome has some weird add-ins, but it also crashes within a minute of use. Whenever I try to type in a website, the URL also changes by itself to something else. Thank you in advance! DDS...
Sylvir Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 0 05-16-2013 10:11 PM
Selection Links
Hi, I've ended up with Selection Links attached to Google Chrome. I've tried to remove it in the usual, low-tech savvie ways and it's not worked. It is not listed in the Programs and Features/Uninstall a Program section of the Control Tab. Under Chrome Extensions, it is listed but...
mthwrd Resolved HJT Threads 42 04-05-2013 06:36 PM
Trojan horse hider.mpr
Hey, I am bit of a novice with computers and only have this one for home study so i'm kinda reliant on it so any help would be greatly appreciated. A while back i had some problems with Kaspersky and ended up replacing it with AVG and it gave me premium on a free trial, and it seems when the...
CaraMac Resolved HJT Threads 20 07-22-2012 03:57 PM
Internet Explorer Loads & Uses Tons of Memory
Internet Explorer runs on it's own--in the background--and uses tons of memory. This is similar to a problem that a user named MalusCalibur had back in 2008. IE loads up and runs from 30K and climbs to anywhere from 100-300K of Memory. I've quelled this problem by constantly having Windows...
Deeke777 Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 35 06-26-2012 01:11 PM