Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

File system canged to RAW on my external

This is a discussion on File system canged to RAW on my external within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi...I recently did a reformat for a friend and as she had no where to back up her files, I

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 PM   #1

Hi...I recently did a reformat for a friend and as she had no where to back up her files, I stored them on my external drive. When I tried to retrieve the back up, I found that the external had become a RAW file system and I cannot access any data at all. Is there any way I can retrieve not only her backup files, but also all my music,pictures and videos I had stored on there.
My media files were stored on there as is, via my Vista laptop, her backup files were sent to the external via her XP PC
What can I do ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #2

There are a number of applications that can help you. Some external drives use FAT32 as file system, some use NTFS so it would be best to look at software that can recover from both..

First thing that springs to mind is; R-Studio supports FAT12/16/32, NTFS, EXT2/3 and UFS file systems... www.r-tt.com

Mike
Old 04-08-2009, 04:30 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

This is usually a symptom of corruption in the partition table. I would probably try testdisk as in this sticky https://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/...er-194492.html to rebuild the p-table. If that fails then r-studio would be the next step.
Closed Thread