Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

File Disappeared

This is a discussion on File Disappeared within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I made a backup of a drive earlier using norton ghost. The backup was spanned across something like 30 ghs

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 12:05 PM   #1

I made a backup of a drive earlier using norton ghost.
The backup was spanned across something like 30 ghs file and the main gho file. When I tried to restore the image to the drive from which the backup was made earlier, it stopped after 25%, went to a black dos screen and said drive read error, not looking too promising, I rebotted and tried again, only this time, 5% in, it asks for the location for file number 003, I manually browse and select it and it refuses to accept this is a backup file. I reboot into windows and figure I'll just use Ghost explorer and manually drag the files I need from the image, only when I get into Windows, file 003 has disappeared altogether and the final file in the set, let's call it 030 has a size of 0 bytes. So I've lost one file and lost the content of another file. I don't think the drive itself is faulty as this computer has issues at times with not detecting hard drives (all different drives) on bootup at times but this is the first time it's lost files.
Any suggestions on how to recover this stuff without having to shell out for some pro recovery service?

Ghost can't create a folder listing without the missing files, if I can't recover the files, would there be some way of extracting some of the files from the ghost set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #2

I've tried following the guide using photrec however photorec doesn't support ghost backup files. I also tried Active Undelete and that found lots of deleted files but none of them were the files I need. I've heard about a switch in certain versions of Ghost called -ntexact which apparently works from the files in the opposite direction which might allow me to restore data despite missing a couple of files worth of the spanned image.

Going to try Ghost 14 and see if that switch works on 14 as 2003 definitely doesn't support it.
Closed Thread