Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Faulty Board, PSU or HDD

This is a discussion on Faulty Board, PSU or HDD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Yesterday my system crashed while I was defragmenting one of my hard drives (300GB). I did a soft reset but

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #1

Yesterday my system crashed while I was defragmenting one of my hard drives (300GB). I did a soft reset but the system would not function properly and did not pass POST. I reseated the ram module and checked all wires and cable connections as well as the cards positions/connections.

The system then turned on but only found one of my 2 drives, the one with the OS (100gb). It took longer than usual detecting the IDE drives though, and after finding the first just kept trying to detect. I could not go into BIOS from here, got stuck at "prepare to enter setup", and board still trying to detect IDE drives.

After resetting CMOS, still had same problem. I tried different sata cables and power cable, and still, only main drive detected, board still taking longer than usual to detect drives but this time it would go to Windows XP loading page, and then freeze. Reset to try safe mode. When at "Windows did not shut down properly page"... keyboard input doesn't work so machine goes to "Start Normally" and then freezes at loading page.

I am lost. Is this because of a faulty board or power supply or something else. Why does system not POST sometimes, is there still hope for my 300gb drive and what is the best way to solve this problem. Please help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

While in the bios setup menu, make sure the Sata (if that is what you want for the boot drive) is listed first in any Boot area Priority area. For example, it might say Hard Drive Priority.
Closed Thread