Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

fantom exernal drive not working

This is a discussion on fantom exernal drive not working within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i try to start my mu 1000 and the drive gives me the normal blue light and it also sounds

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:14 PM   #1

i try to start my mu 1000 and the drive gives me the normal blue light and it also sounds like its beeping wich it isnt suposed to do (the disks arnt spining and the hd isnt regestering with the comp) please help need this drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

go to your hard drive manafactures website / support / downloads and download their free bootable diagnostic software utility and run it against the drive ........ make sure to run the thorough test
Old 05-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #3

i cant even do that the drive doesn't show up on my computer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

return the drive to the manufacturer
Old 05-15-2008, 08:57 AM   #5

ya i know i was just wondering if anyone else had this problem
Old 09-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #6

I have a solution! I've seen lots of posts mentioning similar problems with the Fantom hard drives, but for some reason this is the only one I can actually reply to. Hopefully other people find this solution. Mine is a couple of years old and all of a sudden wouldn't show up on my computer. It would recognize that it was connected (icon in the taskbar popped up saying something was connected) but the drive didn't show up in "My Computer". Couldn't access it! Didn't work on other computers either. Emailed tech support with little hope, but their solution worked! Look for it in "Disk Management". Get there by right-clicking the My Computer icon and selecting “Manage”. Mine actually showed up there and I could get all my stuff off! Hope that works for someone else...
Old 08-06-2009, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncassler View Post
I have a solution! I've seen lots of posts mentioning similar problems with the Fantom hard drives, but for some reason this is the only one I can actually reply to. Hopefully other people find this solution. Mine is a couple of years old and all of a sudden wouldn't show up on my computer. It would recognize that it was connected (icon in the taskbar popped up saying something was connected) but the drive didn't show up in "My Computer". Couldn't access it! Didn't work on other computers either. Emailed tech support with little hope, but their solution worked! Look for it in "Disk Management". Get there by right-clicking the My Computer icon and selecting “Manage”. Mine actually showed up there and I could get all my stuff off! Hope that works for someone else...
my hd doesnt even show there
Old 08-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

If the drive is not spinning, then it indiates a potential physical failure. If you need the data, remove the disk from the enclosure and attach it directly to the SATA port of a desktop to test. This will eliminate any potential issues with the enclosure. If the data is not critical, then you are better off to return the drive for replacement under warranty as Linderman mentioned.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #9

How long ago did you purchase your external hard drive, neondizzle420? And what brand name is it? Also have you tried leaving it in your freezer for a while ? That is said to help a failing hard drive.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

DO NOT FREEZE HARD DRIVES! Every month we see at least a couple drives come through the lab that were in the freezer. The result is usually a head ripped loose from the stack due to condenstaion freezing and either sticking to the head or freezing to the platter and the head impacting it. Cooling a drive with an active cooler device or using a blue ice pack under the drive to keep it cool is one thing. But in other than a few very specific cases, like some bearing issues, freezing will do little to nothing for fixing a drive, and is more likely to cause even more damage to the data.
Closed Thread