Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairly complicated problems with partitions lost.

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  LBSB 
#1 ·
The problem became more complicated due to some aditional mistakes I did on top of the first ones, but here is a description of my problem.

On my notebook I had a Windows 7 installation on the C: partition (which had around 40GB) and my personal files in the D: partition (around 200GB.)

I then created another partition out of the D: partition to install a version of Ubuntu.

It worked and I installed Ubuntu and everything was good.

Since I would be using Windows much less frequently, and only 20 GB of my C: partition was being used, I decided to reduce the size of the C: partition by almost 20GB so I could reallocate these 20GB to my Linux partition.

The problem starts now: When I reduced my C: partition, I ended up creating another partition of unallocated space, which I planned to merge with my Linux partition later. But what happened was different from what I was expecting, the partition program did create the partition of unallocated space out of the C: partition but in the process it made my computer un-bootable.

I then used a Ubuntu 11.04 Live CD (USB, actually) to see if I could solve this problem.

When I used an application called Disk Utility I could see the following structure:

SYSTEM

302MB

RECOVERY

4.7 GB

Partition C:

18GB

Unallocated space

20GB

Partition D:

around 140GB

Partition Logic (when I had installed Ubuntu)

40 GB

Since I thought the MBR was corrupted, I downloaded a program called ms-sys and 'forced it' to write a MBR to C: (my windows partition). After that I rebooted and not only I could not access windows, when I booted the Ubuntu live version again I could not see my Windows partition.

To make a long story short, I used Testdisk and gpart trying to recover my partition, in the end I did recover it, but all other partition but System and Recovery are gone. Now I have a single partition where I can see the files there but the partition of unallocated space and the Linux partition are gone, yet the system somewhat recognize them because this new single partition has 235GB but only 1,3GB free, so I suppose the system 'incorporated' all other partitions and this is why there is so little free space left on this single, huge partition.

I`m writing this from a Ubuntu live CD, so it is all I have left to try to solve this problem. I would really appreciate any help.

See less See more
#2 ·
DISREGARD MY POST ABOVE

I made a mistake in describing the problem, since I can`t edit the post, here`s the corrected version of the problem.

The problem became more complicated due to some aditional mistakes I did on top of the first ones, but here is a description of my problem.

On my notebook I had a Windows 7 installation on the C: partition (which had around 40GB) and my personal files in the D: partition (around 200GB.)

I then created another partition out of the D: partition to install a version of Ubuntu.

It worked and I installed Ubuntu and everything was good.

Since I would be using Windows much less frequently, I decided to do the following: I merged partition C and D (so the contents of D became a folder in the C: partition) and I decided to reduce the size of the C: partition by almost 20GB so I could reallocate these 20GB to my Linux partition.

The problem starts now: When I reduced my C: partition, I ended up creating another partition of unallocated space, which I planned to merge with my Linux partition later. But what happened was different from what I was expecting, the partition program did create the partition of unallocated space out of the C: partition but in the process it made my computer un-bootable.

I then used a Ubuntu 11.04 Live CD (USB, actually) to see if I could solve this problem.

When I used an application called Disk Utility I could see the following structure:

SYSTEM

302MB

RECOVERY

4.7 GB

Partition C:

200GB

Unallocated space

20GB

Partition Logic (when I had installed Ubuntu)

15GB

Since I thought the MBR was corrupted, I downloaded a program called ms-sys and 'forced it' to write a MBR to C: (my windows partition). After that I rebooted and not only I could not access windows, when I booted the Ubuntu live version again I could not see my Windows partition.

To make a long story short, I used Testdisk and gpart trying to recover my partition, in the end I did recover it, but all other partition but System and Recovery are gone. Now I have a single partition where I can see the files there but the partition of unallocated space and the Linux partition are gone, yet the system somewhat recognize them because this new single partition has 235GB but only 1,3GB free, so I suppose the system 'incorporated' all other partitions and this is why there is so little free space left on this single, huge partition.

I`m writing this from a Ubuntu live CD, so it is all I have left to try to solve this problem. I would really appreciate any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.