Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Factory Settings, Can I move programmes before reset to avoid losing??? Please help

This is a discussion on Factory Settings, Can I move programmes before reset to avoid losing??? Please help within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi My computer recently crashed and when restarted it has lost the network adaptors meaning my internet is gone. Acer

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:45 AM   #1

Hi

My computer recently crashed and when restarted it has lost the network adaptors meaning my internet is gone. Acer has said I'll need to do a factory resest which means I'll lose all my programmes som of which I don't have discs for and am loathe to lose. I have an external hard drive and am wondering if there's a way to move all teh programme files there temporarily? I've been doing some research and see there are all sorts of cloning programnmes but am not sure if this would work. Can anyone advise?? Computer is an Acer with XP as the operating system. Thanks

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Cloning moves everything and keeps it intact, including the OS, you cannont move programs from one OS install to another since the registry entries for the programs will be lost. Files you can simply copy out but the programs would have to be re-installed. It might be easier to simply download drivers for the network card and reinstall that - Acer's advice is based on the typical tech support attitutde, clear the call as quickly and with as little effort as possible and move on to the next call. Check device manager and see if it identifies the network card, then download the drivers for that on another machine, burn to CD and reinstall on the failed machine. You may even be able to DL the drivers from acer based on the model# or serial number of your machine. Check their support site for DLs
Old 01-20-2010, 02:56 AM   #3

Hi. Thanks so much for your advice. I had a look on the Acer website and downloaded the LAN Driver for the Travelmate 2200 range (mine is 2203LC) - which I think is the right thing - and installed it. Unfortunately it does not seem to have worked. I contacted Acer to confirm that it was the correct item but as ever they were next to useless! I spoke with BT for 30 mins last night and they tried everything (they were great), eventually managing to connect me via a USB LAN connection which at least has got me back on line temporarily. I'm not sure where to go next with it.
Closed Thread