Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

External HDD..... what interface is it actually?

959 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  pip22 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have one external HDD about 5 years old, hasn't used that much.. Lacie 250 GB.
Its power adapter is getting kinda unreliable these days...I think its loose power connector than the adapter itself. I am thinking to open the encloser and use it as an extra internal HDD on my desktop...... which already have 2 HDDs.
But, my motherboard had only SATA connectors available (as IDE connector is already used for another HDD and DVD drive.
I am trying to figureout what kind of interface does this HDD drive actually have. When connected through USB on my laptop Device manager reads this drive as WD 250 GB USB drive.
I dont know if SATA drives were common by then when i bought this. Any smart thinking or real experience please?

I think I have an option to buy another power adapter or cheap encloser and again to buy encloser i guess I need to know if it is SATA or IDE/PATA. But I have no use of this as external HDD and can use it better as internal.

I am guessing morelikely to be IDE though, but want to make sure before I open enclosure and its possible that i might ruin the enclosure while opening as Lacie enclosures does not have any screws and i have to pry open it.

thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.