Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

External HDD making very subtle scratching sounds suspect bad USB port?

This is a discussion on External HDD making very subtle scratching sounds suspect bad USB port? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My recently bought Storejet 25m3 is making slight scratching sounds and they can clearly be heard when pressing against ear.

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 01:12 AM   #1
cs7
Registered Member

My recently bought Storejet 25m3 is making slight scratching sounds and they can clearly be heard when pressing against ear. My previous Storejet 25m3 had been making clicking sounds, I have begin to seriously suspect that there is something wrong with my PC USB port (maybe not sufficient power is supplied to it) because I have not connected the new HDD with any other machine but my PC but I don't know how to check if the USB port is faulty or not. Also when I remove the USB cable the HDD makes short whining sound. I did the basic Short Drive Self Test using Seagate SeaTools found no errors but all the while the HDD was making same scratching sounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

A hard drive makes noise because they're a mechanical device, with a motor, spinning platters and reciprocating heads.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Any noise from a HDD other then the normal spin up and down hum is bad. It means it is failing or has failed. This can also be caused by the USB controller inside the enclosure failing.
Do the Seatools Long test, this is longer, but if it fails, the HDD needs to be replaced,
If this is new, I would return it for a free replacement
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2018, 04:39 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

When "pressing" the hard drive "against" your "ear" while it is running, you can sometimes hear the platters whirring, and often hear the head mechanism moving back and forth when the drive is reading/writing data.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:55 AM   #5
cs7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Any noise from a HDD other then the normal spin up and down hum is bad. It means it is failing or has failed.
But how do I accurately determine which sound is actually a sign of failing disk. Any link to meaning of different sounds would be helpful.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:13 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Here you go, Failing hard drive sounds - Datacent.com - Datacent although ensure that the sound is not diluted by external noises from other devices/computer.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:47 AM   #7
cs7
Registered Member

Thank you for these sounds although there was no category for Transcend I did hear the sounds of other manufacturers, no sound that I heard matched that of my disk but that doesn't get me out of the heard though because I suppose those are very heavy sounds and probably resemble the failed disk sounds while my disk don't make that loud sounds but it does make soft sound.

One more thing I noticed is that when I am watching a video directly from the disk before first copying it into the local disk drive and I skip ahead few minutes of the video I hear a very soft let's just say a scratch thud every time. I don't know if it's normal or not. I will do the long generic test using Seatools and see if it shows any errors.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Any noise from a HDD other then the normal spin up and down hum is bad.
Try the drive on another computer. Put your ear to the enclosure to identify for sure that it is coming from inside the enclosure and not something else on your computer.
Transcend does not make HDD's, they make the enclosure that the HDD is placed in. Transcend external HDD's use one of the 4 major HDD manufacturers drives in their enclosure (ie) Seagate, Western Digital, Hitachi, and Toshiba. Dependent on who gave them the best deal that week.
Thumping, Scratching, Whining or any sound other then the steady hum of the disks spinning is bad.
if the USB Controller inside the Enclosure is starting to fail, it will make the HDD make these sounds. If it makes sounds on another computer, then I would not trust this drive. Keep any files you don't want to loose on another drive as well for backup. Watch it closely. It may last a week, or a month or a year. But it is going to fail.