Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

external hdd 33 mb /s cap

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  winxp rules 
#1 ·
my external hdd never goes faster than 30 megabytes a secound is this normal for usb

#2 · (Edited)
Sounds about right for USB 2.0. Can you give us the make and model of the HDD so we can check the read/write speeds.

Just checked my one here, and have the same speeds. They are about the same on my other ones at home. All are USB 2.0.
For much faster read/write speeds you can look for a USB 3.0 external HDD, but your computer's motherboard will also have to support USB 3.0 as well to utilise it. Newer PC's do support USB 3.0.

#3 ·
Sounds about right for USB 2.0. Can you give us the make and model of the HDD so we can check the read/write speeds.

Just checked my one here, and have the same speeds. They are about the same on my other ones at home. All are USB 2.0.
For much faster read/write speeds you can look for a USB 3.0 external HDD, but your computer's motherboard will also have to support USB 3.0 as well to utilise it. Newer PC's do support USB 3.0.
but should it not be 60 mb /s seagate baracuda in lacie porche desing case

#4 ·
USB 2.0 has a maximum transfer speed of 480 Mbps (that's Mega bits per second as shown with a lower case b, a capital B would MegaBytes, 1 MBps = 8 Mbps) USB 3.0 boasts 4.8 Gbps (that's Giga and bits again) 10 times faster then USB 2.0. SATA HDD's transfers up to 6 Gbps. However eSATA only transfers up to 1.5 Gbps for external SATA drives. Your transfer speed is also based on the rpm's of the HDD. A 7200 rpm drive will be faster then a 5400 rpm drive. your mileage may vary

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.