Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

external HD partition suddenly "not accessible", Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  JMPC 
#1 ·
external HD partition suddenly "not accessible", Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)

I have tried following the instructions in the Sticky on hard drive not accessible but can't get past the Please Wait screen in Test Disk after I hit the enter key (on No Log).

I am running Windows 7 - 64 bit.
I have an external WD 1 TB hard drive connected with USB that is partitioned into drive G and drive H.

H is where my important data is and it is suddently "not accessible" and it wants me to format it to use it. I click NO to that then the box pops up DATA ERROR (CYCLIC REDUNDANCY CHECK).

G still works fine so I know it is not the actual hard drive or cable causing the problem.

Both were formatted NTFS and given a name of WD 1 TB first (G) and WD 1 TB second (H). G still has it's given name and is still NTFS. H is now just LOCAL disk that is listed as RAW.

I have tried restarting the computer but that does not change anything.

I have tried a cold boot and that brought the drive back so I started a backup and went to bed. Got up in the morning and the backup had stalled out, early on, as drive H went back to being a LOCAL drive that is RAW.

I downloaded both versions of Test Disk and tried to run them as administrator.

I tried the 32 bit first as I assumed I had WoW64 from what I had read. When that didn't work, (stalled out with please wait after choosing No Log and hitting the enter key) I downloaded and ran the 64 bit version but the same thing happens... I choose No Log, hit the enter key, then am greeted with Please Wait... but nothing ever populates after that and I've waited up to a half an hour.

What do I do next?

thank you in advance for your assistance,
Cindy

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: external HD partition suddenly "not accessible", Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Ch

I would suggest trying another program like GetDataBack to see if it is able to get through to the file system and locate the data. They have a trial version that will show you if it can find anything or not.

I know this doesn't help your situation but in the future if you have files that are important they should be backed up in at least two locations. Drives fail all the time and there's no telling when a failure will occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.