Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

External hard drive not recognized Maxtor OneTouch

9K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hi. I have a 640GB Maxtor OneTouch 4 hard drive that I bought a few years ago. A few months ago it started being flaky (in that it would sometimes disconnect on its own). But if I unplugged it and replugged it, it would work again. The problem seemed intermittent. But now, when i plug it in, a pop-up in the bottom right comes up that has the yellow triangle w/ ! saying "USB Device Not Recognized." I have tried connecting it to my desktop and my laptop, I get the same message for both.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Even if I cant get it permanently working again, there are files on there that I would like to get off (pictures and videos). I thought i had moved it all over to my computer's hard drive, but i guess i missed some stuff....

Thanks

#3 ·
As Networks said, the logic board inside the enclosure may have failed. Be sure you are using the power adapter that came with the drive and that you are plugging it into the Wall socket and not through a surge protector or extension cord as this may diminish the power. Be sure you are plugging the drive into the Back USB port of the computer and not the front as these ports are weaker. If this all fails. Do As Networks suggested, remove the drive and either attach it internally or use a USB Adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.